Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100% cpu load from XOrg Who else has that problem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% cpu load from XOrg Who else has that problem?

Hi folks,

for months (years?) now there are reported problems with XOrg using 100% of CPU and the desktop becomes unusable. If that situation occurs it takes seconds until a mouse click is "answered" by the system. That's pretty annoying, but none of the developers seem to care.

What is your experience regarding that subject?

Maybe it's worth mentioning: I am using the closed source driver and dual screen.
    Yes, and I'm using nvidia graphics
    0%
    Yes, and I'm using ATI graphics
    0%
    Yes, and I'm using other graphics
    0%
    No, don't know what you're talking about
    0%
    No, I solved that problem
    0%

Re: 100% cpu load from XOrg Who else has that problem?

I do get very laggy responses (even seconds) from the cursor sometimes. I often look at system usage and I can't tell what it is but Xorg reports minimal usage. I put it down to faulty memory management because I've only got 3GB ram and I push the limits of open windows. Still why it happens sometimes and not others is a mystery. I suppose it could be a bug in Xorg, but I'd just as soon vote for a problem with the Kernel or KDE.

Comment

My answer would probably be no, but I do know what you're talking about.
      Yet I never really found a repeatable solution.

But then I'm usually running lot's of beta stuff.

One contributing factor that's easy to control is to get a Flash blocker in your browser.

Comment

Good that you mentioned Firefox.

on my system only KDE programs are affected. When the lag effect is "on", each event that hits a kde window (keystroke, window resize, hitting a button,...) leads to several seconds of 100% cpu usage by XOrg and the programm freezes for that time).
        GTK programms dosen't seem to be affected at all. While Kwrite or konqueror are almost unusable Firefox or Synaptic are perfectly well behaved at the same time.

Comment

Working...
        X