X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED Kubuntu 10.04, : X server aborting

Hi everybody,

to resolve my login problem on kubuntu 10.04 (login loop) I try to install the driver NVIDIA 173.14.28 after downloaded from nvidia site .When I perform the following:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.......etc to install the driver 173 I get the message below
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to find the system utility "ld"; pleasemake sure you have the pakage "binutilis". If you have binutilis installed , then please check that "ld" is in your PATH.
    I already have the utility required (binutilis) but how I check the "ld" on my PATH ??

could you give me an example to check "ld" on my PATH ??

thanks in advance.
    Sandro

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Re: NVIDIA installer for Unix/linux

Don't even try to install the driver from source. At a command prompt:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-common nvidia-settings
    This will install the latest nvidia driver on your system.

If you are working from the root prompt you can leave out the sudo part of the commands.

Comment

Without derailing the thread, I was hoping you could answer a question for me, Detonate. If I upgrade my video card, will this method automatically update my driver when I run apt-get install etc.?
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

The latest nvidia driver supports just about every nvidia card on the market. Stay away from the series 8XXX cards which have been problematic for some.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...29-driver.html

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          Stay away from the series 8XXX cards which have been problematic for some.
          Hi...

Interesting. What have been the complaints? My onboard 8600M GS has worked beautifully.

Regards...
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Search the forum for 8xxx and read away.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              Search the forum for 8xxx and read away.
              Ah, you might be referring to the defective chipsets that Nvidia was accused of knowingly shipping between 2007-2008. I've been blessed not to have had any of these issues but considering the problems and limitations I've heard with ATI's Linux drivers, I'm not sure if they're the best choice either. Any thoughts?

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi Detonate,

thanks for the suggestions, I tried as the following:
                Code:
                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
                but I get an error type ."..specify a repository ..."
                please could you suggest me the path/name of the repository to insert ??

so I tried anyway the following
                Code:
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get install nvidia-common nvidia-settings
                and after the system asked me to perform also -->apt-get install nvidia-current.

so the system displayed some words....etc..etc and the string ----> nvidia-setting(195.36.08-0ubuntu2) . is this (195.36.08) the old driver ?? why not the new 260.etc.etc ??

any way after all I rebooted the pc but I get the login black screen .

I found the following error in the log "Xorg.0.log"

Code:
                etc.etc.....(all ok)
                (II) Initializing extension GLX
                Backtrace:
                0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace........etc...)
                1: /usr/bin/X  (0x8048000+.....etc)
                2: /(vdso)  (__kernel_rt_sigreturn+0x0) [0x65c410]
                Segmentation fault at address 0x1140584

Caught signal 11 (segmentation fault). Server aboring
                Please conslt the X.org Foundation support at [url]http://wiki.x.org[/url]
                please also check the log Xorg.0.log ......etc
                what does the above X server error mean ??

please could you help me ??

thank you very much
                sandro

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 10.04, : X server aborting

please any suggestion ??

thanks in advance.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 10.04, : X server aborting

Hi everybody

I SOLVED the problem . it was related to video driver that in 10.04 doesn't work , I installed the last driver version 260.19.29 and all is ok finally . to do this I performed in order the following step :

Code:
                    sudo apt-get  --purge  remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

sudo apt-get add-apt-repository  ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
                    sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get install nvidia-common nvidia-settings  nvidia-current
                    sudo update-alternatives  --config  gl_conf
                    sudo ldconfig
                    sudo nvidia-xconfig
                    therefore I reboot the system and all was gone well

thanks everybody for your support.
                    sandro

Comment

Working...
                    X