This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash isn't working... a bit long... [solved]

Not a BIG fan of Flash, but want to enable Flash on a case by case basis.

History:
    I started with Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 32 bit and somehow the first install blew up.

Reinstalled Kubuntu LTS 64 bit Desktop:
    Code:
    mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~$ uname -a
    Linux mmmmna-64bit 2.6.32-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 20 14:21:58 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~$
    While running Live from the install CD, and again, after installation, the wireless NIC was not configured - a Broadcom 4306 chipset in a Buffalo Technologies card. Found some older drivers from U9.04, managed to get wireless running.

Repositories weren't working after distro installation, not sure why, exactly, but most likely the repos were set while the internet wasn't working (as I said earlier due to the wireless nic not being configured). All that was configured was Kpackage kit as a package manager, pointing to just the install CD. That wouldn't get Synaptic installed, so I finagled at the commandline and 'apt-get install xxx' to get synaptic. Ok, Synaptic works, and I can get into SOME repos somewhere....
    In Synaptic, I have selected the following:
    Ubuntu Software tab:
    Canonical supported OSS (main)
    Canonical maintained OSS (universe)
    Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted)
    Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse)
    I have not selected source code (I tend to be a coward, there).

Other Software tab:
    http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
    http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner(Source code)
    I have not selected CDROM.
    Yes, you see a conflict there, I have selected the source code under other software.

In synaptic, I have the following packages installed:
    flashplugin-installer 10.1.82.76ubuntu0.10.04.2
    flashplugin-nonfree 10.1.82.76ubuntu0.10.04.2

Using Firefox 3.6.8, I also have Flashblock installed (1.5.13).

Aboutlugins shows: No plugins are installed

Flash is misbehaving, even after clicking flashblock to allow a flash to play.

Code:
    mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~$ locate libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~$ ls -l /usr/lib
    lib/  lib32/ lib64/ 
    mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so 
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11950976 2010-08-28 09:38 /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~$ ls -l /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/
    libswfdecmozilla.so     npwrapper.libflashplayer.so 
    mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~$ ls -l /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so 
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 2010-08-26 08:26 /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so -> ../../../lib/swfdec-mozilla/libswfdecmozilla.so
    What did I do wrong?

Re: Flash isn't working... a bit long...

The flashplugin-installer only installs 32-bit junk even on 64-bit, which has to use the über-crappy nspluginwrapper, resulting in all sorts of issues.
    From a Konsole window, do:
    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper

Then take the last 64-bit flash plugin, I've uploaded it here:
    http://netload.in/dateio9VWnaYCON/libflashplayer.so.htm

Put the downloaded libflashplayer.so into the following directory: (create the 'plugins' directory if it doesn't exist)
    ~/.mozilla/plugins

Flash should work fine then (it does for me). However, since the lazy bums at Adobe have dropped 64-bit support, there's no 64-bit version of the latest version with all security issues fixed, so use the Adblock Plus or Flashblock add-on for Firefox to use Flash only on trustworthy sites.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Thanks for the information, Yuri.

I also use AdblockPlus alongside Flashblock, and I recently added Ghostery to keep the trackers at bay.

Umm, I downloaded the file you offered, and to satisfy my sense of (in)security, I ran tail on it.

I see some things that make me a bit nervous.
      Code:
      mmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~/Downloads/From Yuri$ 
      mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~/Downloads/From Yuri$ tail libflashplayer.so 

<<SNIPPED>>

S���������Adobe Systems 02���������ڢ!h�4��b����)�g�t
      ������ ��0��������GCC: (GNU) 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu1)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
      GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 

<<SNIPPED about 200 duplicated sequences>>

4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
      GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)The Netwide Assembler 2.04
      The Netwide Assembler 2.04The Netwide Assembler 2.04GCC: (GNU) 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu1)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu1)GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
      GCC: (GNU) 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu1)
      .shstrtab.gnu.hash.dynsym.dynstr.gnu.version.gnu.version_r.rela.dyn.rela.plt.init.text.fini.rodata.eh_frame_hdr.eh_frame.gcc_except_table.ctors.dtors.jcr.data.rel.ro.dynamic.got.got.plt
      .data.bss.commentXXl

���o�
                                          �
                                          @
      �▒�8�8�%���o�V�V�2���o8Z8Z�  A�[�[�▒K�?�?�)              
      �@g�@g��1 �� ���� � ��i ��mmmmna@mmmmna-64bit:~/Downloads/From Yuri$
      The first item that surprises me: how this string repeated so many times:
      Code:
      GCC: (GNU) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
      That amounts to something like a kilobyte of ASCII that I snipped out. Typically, this amount of data could cause a buffer overflow if it was ever called, that, in turn hints at sloppy (if not outright malicious) code.

Next, my concerns piques with the reference to NASM
      Code:
      The Netwide Assembler 2.04The Netwide Assembler 2.04The Netwide Assembler 2.04
      This assembler/disassembler is openly available, and I'm going to guess is not likely the assembler that Adobe is using for its official releases of Flash (I'll gamble that MASM, the M$ assembler, is the Adobe assembly tool of choice). Of course, I have no idea what is actually being used for Flash development, since I'm not involved therein.

Finally, for both quoted strings, I'm thinking that Adobe didn't enter those values into the file.

I'll pause here to offer that you are likely just offering what you found to work for you, but I have to ask directly: what is the source of the that libflashplayer.so file that you are offering?
      I realize that likely someone has done some work on the file, but I just want to check with the source of the file before I expose my system.

<sarcasm>
      I surely wish Adobe would make an effort to support 64 bit Linux, but we are just pawns and we know that the 'for profit' corporations aren't interested in trying our new, open operating system idea - just too risky to spend money on an upstart like Linux.
      </sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by mmmmna
        Thanks for the information, Yuri.

I also use AdblockPlus alongside Flashblock, and I recently added Ghostery to keep the trackers at bay.

Umm, I downloaded the file you offered, and to satisfy my sense of (in)security, I ran tail on it.

I see some things that make me a bit nervous.
        <snip>
        I downloaded it from Adobe's site when it was still avaiable there:
        http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flas...r10_64bit.html
        Use it or leave it.

Right now there's only their lame excuse:
        We have temporarily closed the Labs program of Flash Player 10 for 64-bit Linux, as we are making significant architectural changes to the 64-bit Linux Flash Player and additional security enhancements. We are fully committed to bringing native 64-bit Flash Player for the desktop by providing native support for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux 64-bit platforms in an upcoming major release of Flash Player. We intend to provide more regular update information on our progress as we continue our work on 64-bit versions of Flash Player. Thank you for your continued help and support. Stay tuned to the Flash Player discussion forum for further announcements.
        Originally posted by mmmmna
        <sarcasm>
        I surely wish Adobe would make an effort to support 64 bit Linux, but we are just pawns and we know that the 'for profit' corporations aren't interested in trying our new, open operating system idea - just too risky to spend money on an upstart like Linux.
        </sarcasm>
        Yes, it would be nice if the lazy bums at Adobe got a 64-bit version of the current Flash plugin out again...
        It would be even better if free plugins like Gnashwould become a full-fledged replacement - they've made progress recently, but not quite there yet.
        The best still would be if the new Html5 stuff would replace Flash and Flash would die altogether.
        Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Actually, I want to apologize here. After myself having a similar experience on a flash file from Adobe, I think your file is legitimate, despite the seemingly odd output.

I managed to find an archived copy of the plugin, somewhere on the Adobe site, I downloaded it, extracted the .so file, ran tail, and my file tailed in about the same manner as I posted about yours, especially with the repeated references to ubuntu displayed onscreen. Not sure why that much repetition is so useful that Adobe includes it (embedded) in the file.

Gotta love how Adobe offers that they will support 64 bit in the next "MAJOR" release of Flash. Hopefully, that will give HTML5 a good year of head start.

Anyways, I'm going to install the file you uploaded, as per your instructions.

If I have a lot of issues, maybe I'll just reinstall 32bit Kubuntu.
          I really don't think I have anything on this box that demands 64bit precision.

They (CPU makers) invented a party (64 bit processors) but nobody (software makers) wants to attend (use 64 bits)? How odd - we all saw a differences when Winhose went from 16 bits to 32 bits.....

Comment

Solved.

Via Synaptic, I uninstalled nspluginwrapper and the flashplayer which wasn't working (I 'completely remove'd the packages),
            I installed the file Yuri offered,
            installed in the location that Yuri directed,
            My Flash is working well.

Comment

Working...
            X