This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Where is update-motd?

I have been playing around with motd, trying to get it to work according to the ubuntu documentation, which it currently doesn't. There is supposed to be an 'update-motd' command that makes all this fly, but the update-motd package appears to be a dummy package. It has a man page, but no actual software in it, so there is no update-motd command, which is probably why none of this works. What gives?

Edit: After a few hours of searching, following false leads, etc., I find that update-motd is now a part of libpam. OK, so no update-motd anymore. Everything is dynamically generated from /etc/update-motd.d . Still didn't work. Then I find I needed to install the landscape-common package. That added a new script, but also must have cleared a disable flag somewhere, because it now works. Adding a script gives me my offensive fortune. My login experience is now complete.

I guess one of my gripes about ubuntu over debian is it seems like there is an awful lot of this kind of spaghetti coding going on. Instead of things working the way the man pages say, there are scripts jumping here, there, and everywhere, with little or no documentation as to how they all connect together. Makes it very difficult to figure out how things work, or how to fix them when they don't. Another example: I still can't figure out why the grub2 scripts (or which script for that matter) is failing to detect my video properly, so I have to boot with a custom script. I finally gave up on upstart. Used to be so straightforward, all them years back...

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking
Working...
X