This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Converting

Is there a program that will let me convert my DVD's to MP4 format?

I searched around and found that dvd::rip will let me rip a dvd to my hard drive, but I didn't notice in any of the features that it will convert a DVD to a different format? Does it? Or is there a program that will help me in this? I want to convert it so I can put it on my MP4 by the way.

Thanks,

Re: DVD Converting

I use acidrip but there are many others

Comment

You don't really "convert," DVD::RIP copies the video/audio data to VOB's, then you encode these to a computer format of your choice.

DVD::RIP uses transcode which is considered outdated, although I think dvd::rip is the simplest interface and it does all I want - which is to allow me to watch my movies from a files rather than a disc. You can create OOG, AVI, and MPEG4 containers using about 10 different codecs.

The other more up-to-date tool is called handbrake. I found it to be rather complicated to use and I have had trouble getting the output I want. It has way more options. I use it on the occasion transcode won't process a particular dvd.

IMO, If your not a total videophile and just want watchable videos, dvdrip will do it. If you are interested in making high-quality recordings, you may want to take the time to learn handbrake.

Both these programs have their own forums which would be a good place to start.

Please Read Me

Comment

HandBrake is the tool for the job.

It rips by default using x264 to make mp4 files.

I am currently ripping my whole DVD collection to hard drive on my laptop.
        Using Linux since 1999<br />Current system openSUSE 11.3 <br />Toshiba A505-S6035<br />Intel core i7, Nvidia 300m GT<br />4 gigs of DDR3, SATA 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Comment

Cool. Thanks guys I'll download these and try them out right now

Comment

I am still fairly new to kubuntu. I installed it only three days ago. Can you guys give me a step by step on how to download these programs?
            Thanks

Comment

Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit version of kubuntu?

Here is the 64 bit version

https://edge.launchpad.net/~stebbins...cid1_amd64.deb

The 32 bit version

https://edge.launchpad.net/~stebbins...ucid1_i386.deb
              Using Linux since 1999<br />Current system openSUSE 11.3 <br />Toshiba A505-S6035<br />Intel core i7, Nvidia 300m GT<br />4 gigs of DDR3, SATA 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Comment

When I set the destination folder in handbrake it doesn't save it and I can't figure out why. I have tried the video folder, the desktop folder, and the My Documents folder, but it never saves it. Also when I put in my DVD it only selected a 14 second title and the movie is 35 minutes long.
                Can you help me?
                Thanks

Comment

First when open handbrake

1) click the scan button

2) select the check box to Open Folder or dvd batch

3) click on the dvd, then on the right click the video-ts directory, click ok

4) select the output directory

5)When it finishes scanning the dvd click the start encoding button

Comment

Just made a quick video showing how to rip with handbrake. here is the link.

http://itsyourpc.org/bruce/files/handbrake

Comment

When I make the adjustments to handbrake and then click to open the source file, I check the box but there isn't a cd-rom option on the side. The way I have been doing it is going in to the root folder, clicking on dev, then on disk, then on list by title (or something like that I'm on the windows machine right now). How do I get the cd-rom and/or the dvd drive option in the left side of the menu? Could this also have something to do with it only selecting a 14 second title?
                      Thanks for making the video by the way,

Comment

Try this.

When you insert the dvd and the pop up comes up asking what to do with it, click open with file manager. Just leave that window open don't do anything there.

Now go into handbrake and see if the DVD shows up.

Comment

Nothing pops up. All the drive does is spin and light up for a few seconds and then stops and kubuntu doesn't act like anything happened

Comment

The device notifier should pop up and ask what you would like to do with the DVD

Comment

What does dmesg say after you popped the DVD in? Sounds like the disc isn't properly recognized/read...

Sadly this just happened to a favourite film of mine
                              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                              X