This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reconq

I just downloaded Reconq, it seems quite good although Flash is a little flaky. Has anybody else tried it?

http://maketecheasier.com/rekonq-a-q...ser/2010/05/19

Re: Reconq

It looks interesting and full KDE integration is enough to get me to look at it. But as always I expect that it will be a chicken and egg paradigm. Will enough people use it that extensions will be developed or will enough extensions be developed that people will use it? As nice as it would be to have full integration, there are certain Firefox extensions that I am just too spoiled to live without.

Here's to hoping!
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

@Marlin: Extensions will not be the problem. The next version of Rekonq will add support for Chrome extensions: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/r...xtensions.html
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus
        @Marlin: Extensions will not be the problem. The next version of Rekonq will add support for Chrome extensions: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/r...xtensions.html
        This is a really good news. If a bookmark syncronization support (between google account- and local KDE bookmarks) could be achieved with an extension, Rekonq will certainly rock!

The only problem I have with rekonq is it's awful page scrolling performance. Does anyone having the same issue? I believe it is because smooth-scroll is enabled by default in webkit. I there a way to turn it of (it also happens in Konqueror with webkit,and even there, disabling smoothscrolling feature does not work).

Comment

Thanks for the post!

I think the version in the ppa for nightly builds is working a lot better than the 4.0 in Lucid. Here it is:
          https://launchpad.net/~yoann-laissus...ive/rekonq-ppa

Of course, these are nightly builds, and they may break for a day or two every once in a while, so if you are using rekonq as your main browser they may not be ideal for your needs

Cheers!

Comment

I've downloaded rekonq 0.5 . I can't find the latest version in the repositories. But, I do have qt 4.7 on KDE 4.5.1. It would crash whenever I did a search on youtube. Konqueror when in webkit mode would crash on youtube also. Rekonq crashed on godtube.com as well. Rekonq has great potential, but I'm not sold on it as a default browser at this time. I'd rather stay with Konqueror for now with the KHTML part as the default, and only use the webkit part for testing or when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by cowlitzron
              I've downloaded rekonq 0.5 . I can't find the latest version in the repositories. But, I do have qt 4.7 on KDE 4.5.1. It would crash whenever I did a search on youtube. Konqueror when in webkit mode would crash on youtube also. Rekonq crashed on godtube.com as well. Rekonq has great potential, but I'm not sold on it as a default browser at this time. I'd rather stay with Konqueror for now with the KHTML part as the default, and only use the webkit part for testing or when needed.
              I am using 0.6 on maverick and it is quite stable, that is, it does crashes sometimes it doesn't happen a lot.

Even though I am using it as my primary browser for few weeks now, I am not sure if it should be a default, not yet anyway. Many people are having problem with flash (according to different posts on web) and facing crashes (it doesn't happen quite often but still, default software should be very stable), other than that it also needs to improve/add some features.

On the positive side, I have switched from Chrome just because of its integration with KDE. Other than some shortcomings, it is a good browser and is getting better everyday.

Comment

I must say that Rekonq 0.6.0 in Maverick 10.10 is really stable. 0.6.0 on Lucid isn't, really weird, but Rekonq is my default browser on 10.10 for now
                Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by cowlitzron
                  I've downloaded rekonq 0.5 . I can't find the latest version in the repositories. But, I do have qt 4.7 on KDE 4.5.1. It would crash whenever I did a search on youtube. Konqueror when in webkit mode would crash on youtube also. Rekonq crashed on godtube.com as well. Rekonq has great potential, but I'm not sold on it as a default browser at this time.
                  The problem I had was I was using a custom useragent string on both the KHTML and webkit mode that did not work on some websites. I went back to the default useragent string and now rekonq works fine on most web sites. Although sometimes I have trouble keeping logged in to this forum on rekonq or on Konq in webkit mode. Now, I see rekonq working on more sites than Konqueror in KHTML. I have switched Konq to Webkit in the default and I am considering making rekonq the default browser.

Comment

Working...
                  X