X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where has my KDE desktop gone??

Hi all...

I had LL running very nicely with the KDE desktop as expected until I shut the machine down.

The machine now starts up the Gnome desktop after I log in.

That's it. No warning, no message, no hint as to why this could be.

Any ideas out there?

Cheers

Rob

Re: Where has my KDE desktop gone??

Originally posted by rloc

Any ideas out there?

The Tooth Fairy snuck into your house last night and installed Gnome?

Seriously, I have no clue -- obviously the Gnome Display Manager, aka gdm, was selected for the login, but if you don't know how that happened, no one else will.

When the "greeter" appears where you enter your password, there's a little menu icon. Click that, and there should be an option to choose KDE. Click that, and enter your password, and you should be back to KDE.

Comment

Happened to me too,
      On the login screen, click on the drop-down menu for sesions and choose KDE.

Comment

Thanks guys - I have since awarded myself a PhD for missing the bloody obvious...

Comment

Post hole Digger?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

don't see enough details here but to come by them, check for critical incidence info found under System > Administration > log review file.

You may decide it's critical if your running an upgraded OS and find an xorg fatal error crash report. These do not go flashing at you. My exp is that they crop up if you walk away from your PC and then you come back to a gray or black monitor and you may or may not get to limp in and shut down. Am able to run now but still doing work arounds ... Happened after installing linux-preempt and linux-headers-preempt via upgrade manager but having some kind of incompatibility issue.

It appears there are few who run kubuntu teamed with Ubuntu Studio. That is why I joined this forum. I see only 3 or 4 mentions of doing the same.

Mirus P5GC-MX with 750 giB HD; Linux User 470205 since 2002; Get a Linux User # @ http://counter.li.org

Comment

Originally posted by Xander
              On the login screen, click on the drop-down menu for sesions and choose KDE.
              This was the "reason" and the "answer" to rloc's OP, and why he said he "awarded myself a PhD for missing the bloody obvious..." So yes, there are "enough details here."
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X