This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucid fails to boot after full upgrade

I run "aptitude update;aptitude full-upgrade" today, then I updated /etc/default/grub changing only the default boot line number, and I dully run update-grub, with no error messages. Now Kubuntu will not boot. The new kernel 2.6.32-22 is in the boot menu. When I turn the computer on, a blinking cursor appears on top line, column 8, and after a few seconds this cursor disappears and the screen is blank - my monitor indicates no video signal.

I tried pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc. up to Ctrl-Alt-F10 to get to a text mode login prompt, but the screen remains blank and my monitor indicates no video signal.

The workaround is to boot to kernel 2.6.32-21.

The machine is Athlon XP, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600

Re: Lucid fails to boot after full upgrade

I have the same issue with an older IBM thinkpad. Silly question, but how does one select which kernel to boot to with Grub 2?
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire
      I have the same issue with an older IBM thinkpad. Silly question, but how does one select which kernel to boot to with Grub 2?
      Press the shift key while booting

Comment

Originally posted by nelmain
        I run "aptitude update;aptitude full-upgrade" today, then I updated /etc/default/grub changing only the default boot line number, and I dully run update-grub, with no error messages. Now Kubuntu will not boot. The new kernel 2.6.32-22 is in the boot menu. When I turn the computer on, a blinking cursor appears on top line, column 8, and after a few seconds this cursor disappears and the screen is blank - my monitor indicates no video signal.

I tried pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc. up to Ctrl-Alt-F10 to get to a text mode login prompt, but the screen remains blank and my monitor indicates no video signal.

The workaround is to boot to kernel 2.6.32-21.

The machine is Athlon XP, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600
        I have the same thing. I even installed twice, and this time did the Kubuntu upgrades before I activated the Nvidia driver. My video card is also ATI Radeon 9600. I did not change Grub settings.
        Booting with kernel 2.6.32-22 the booting hesitates, some graphics flash for a split second, then the machine finally settles to a command line login prompt.
        I can boot with the old kernel, 2.6.32-21.
        There are a few other things: sound works but necessarily for all programs. First, there was no sound for Kdenlive or Amarok.
        I kept changing the settings under System Settings > Multimedia >Apply Device List to .. randomly, it does not make any sense, Default should give use of sound to all programs. However sound started working for those programs, but Firefox and Konq still can't play sound even Flash is installed and seems to work.
        This is my first try on KDE in many years. I used the 2.x versions for a long time.
        Hannu

Comment

Same here on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29.

I believe that something is wrong with the newer kernels which affects certain systems.
          There are a couple of other threads here that are talking about the same problem.

Comment

If you are getting the splash screen loading and then stalling (I am) then a work-around is to boot into safe mode, login and then "sudo kdm" which works for me.

Comment

Working...
            X