This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel update breaks nvidia driver...mosty a rant

[rant]This is an old problem that seems to rear it's ugly head every couple of years...

I'm still using 9.10 for my daily because clearly, 10.04 isn't ready for the desktop. In my case - I did a fresh 10.04 install to a clean partition. Updated, added my personal tweaks. Got through a couple minor glitches. Most things seemed fine.

I was still using grub-pc 1.97 from karmic so I booted into the 10.04 install and did the grub-install thing to get to grub-pc 1.98 - all that went fine. Cleaned up my grub.cfg but while I had the 10.04 live I decided to check for updates - of course there were some as expected.

What I didn't expect was that updating the kernel wouldn't work as it has in karmic. Since Jaunty actually.

I came over to Kubuntu with Jaunty and since then - I've loved that jockey would install the latest nvidia driver into the kernel stack without any problems. In fact - it was amazing. Well, trying to boot to the new kernel in Lucid results in a xorg crash with the old driver not found error of years ago.

Sigh....

Yes I've read the posts and how to's and yes I could remove the nvidia driver, reconfigure to nv or nouveau, reboot, re-install the new kernel, reboot, re-install the nvidia driver...

...but I got used to it working as is does in karmic. So no new kernels for lucid until this gets fixed.

[/rant] Unless of course, someone knows why this is happening and how to fix it...

Please Read Me

Re: Kernel update breaks nvidia driver...mosty a rant

Originally posted by oshunluvr

I've loved that jockey would install the latest nvidia driver into the kernel stack
    Well .... jockey has NEVER provided the latest driver, at least not that I can recall. Which is why I just skip it -- and go for the official Nvidia released driver.

But, your point, and your frustration, are valid. jockey-kde is supposed to provide a working version for your card. If it doesn't -- that's a defect in the design of the OS.

Comment

Re: Kernel update breaks nvidia driver...mosty a rant

Yeah - your right - I should have said latest from the repo...

but thanks for the validation!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X