This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to migrate from AMD to Intel MOBO and processor

My current aging setup is 2xAMD Opteron 275 and MSI K8N Master2-far MOBO. I'm considering purchasing
    an Intel Core I7 with Asus P6T mobo. I don't suppose I can backup the existing system, and restore it to the
    Intel machine (or just move the hard disk there) because of driver issues. On the other hand, I know that
    the Kubuntu 10.04 live CD will boot anywhere. What I sort of need is to make a live CD of my installed OS,
    so I can get the Intel system set up before actually installing anything there. But whatever the method,
    I can probably fiddle fumble my way through it (I'm an experienced sysadmin), but if anyone has done it,
    could they detail the process?
    Stuart

Re: how to migrate from AMD to Intel MOBO and processor

Take a look at Remastersys. I'm not sure that this does exactly what you want, but it's close. Basically, it allows you to make a CD of YOUR system (or any fraction, thereof). I fear that there may be differences in some of the entries in your ~/.<whatever>/ configuration files that may be hardware dependent, although the only ones I can think of are explicit hardware drivers that should be obvious.

Comment

I would just move the HDD over. I'm not sure what your driver concern is about, but Linux usually looks after that part for you.

Comment

I recently replaced my MB, running an AMD Athalon Dual core with a new MB and an Intel i5 quad core. All I did was boot it up. Everything worked using my existing Ubuntu install.

Comment

I think his concern is he's used to windows where you could NEVER ever do this.

Most hardware drivers are built into the kernel. You can take steps to trim down your kernel - but you'd know if you did that.

Some things are not built in - but that doesn't usually stop a system from booting. It may mean that you'll need to do some tweaking.

If you want to be extra safe - make your remaster, then move your hard drive over anyway. If it doesn't work, you can always go ahead with the reinstall.

For me: I usually consider a hardware upgrade as an opportunity to do a full reinstall so I'm starting out with a nice clean system. It usually takes less than an hour to do a full install, update and add your PPAs and apps (hey, I just noticed those last two abbreviations have the same letters!). The time consuming part is the settings and stuff.

Congrats on the blazing upgrade! Since you're going to i7, have you looked at the new MSI Big Bang-XPower mobo? I get shivers....

Please Read Me

Comment

There are a couple of bits of firmware for Intel microprocessors -- at least there are for mine. Here they are:

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install intel-microcode microcode.ctl

Comment

Working...
            X