Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10.04 Lucid 64 bit wireless printers??!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.04 Lucid 64 bit wireless printers??!?

Long story short, I have a D-link with the stupid shareport utility that works great for Windoz and Overpriced Fruit OS's, but is not supported in linux in any flavor. So I'm on the hunt for a nice printer, $100~ or less, that is WIFi and WORKS WITH 10.04 well. I know there is a thread about making the cannon MX series work, but I want to know what else is KNOWN to work, so I can get an idea of maybe what I'm wanting. I think it would be nice if we could get a list together of known working printers and maybe links on how to get them to work (if not out of the box), and have it all in one place for reference, at least till 10.10 comes out. LOL, so Thought? Ideas? Input? Thanks!
    My Homesite<br />My Blog

Re: 10.04 Lucid 64 bit wireless printers??!?

Take a look at the Open Printing database site. Personally, I have been, (in the past), a vocal partisan of HP printers (and computers). However, I am no longer an HP enthusiast. I've been telling all my relatives in California not to vote for Carly Fiorina!

HP quality control and customer service have declined in recent years.

Comment

I recently bought a Brother HL-2170W wireless networking printer that was easy to set up and works flawlessly with all of my machines through the wireless interface with my router. It's not really expensive but it is a more than $100. I have had very good service from Brother Lasers. I have an old HL-1240 that is still going strong after 6 years. I replace the cartridge about once a year.

Comment

Regrettably I found that site the other day, but every single printer I looked up wasn't listed at all (mostly I was searching WiFi printers under $100 from places like walmart) It seems it's a bit out of date. Also I'm running 64 bit Lucid, and from what I can tell things that used to work don't in many cases.

What I'm attempting to do is find what people have been able to get to work with 10.04 64 bit. I wish that open printing site was more updated, maybe it'll catch up soon?? We can hope!

I'll look into that Brother printer, seems Brother/Lexmark have some of the best support for Linux from my reasearch, but mostly just the 32 bit flavor. I shy a little from Brother due to past issues I've had with their quality, but of course that was the bottom level stuff so meh........

My Homesite<br />My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          HP quality control and customer service have declined in recent years.
          I agree with quality, but the online support for linux that i have received has been great. With the acquisition of a linux (but non-X) os, hopefully they will continue the tradition.

Comment

Ironically, both of my 64 bit computers use HP printers. My (comparatively) new HP desktop uses a Laserjet 2200 that works well. An older Dell has a non-working, much newer HP 3005 printer attached to it. It never worked well, but at least it used to work (if it was turned off while the computer was still on and then turned on before the computer was turned on, or maybe it was the other way around ). This was the second printer of that model that didn't work. After a number of not very illuminating conversations with HP tech support (which, curiously enough, was in El Salvador while the computer tech support was in India), they agreed to replace the first one which had NEVER worked. The second one, worked for a month or two and then went belly up. The older LJ2200 had worked well on that computer before I acquired the new HP computer. Fortunately, it is not difficult to print documents generated on one computer with a printer attached to another computer on the same LAN (and I need the exercise).

The HP desktop has had two service calls in its first year; (a new hard drive and a loose connection). It seems to work now (famous last words).

Comment

Working...
            X