This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two monitors causing problems...

I just got a new monitor - Asus 23" 1920x1080 - to go along with my laptop (Toshiba L455) which is at 15" 1366x768. The Asus is running VGA from the laptop's VGA outlet. Kubuntu10.04-4.3.3 recognized the new monitor immediately and did default clone. Good. I went into System Settings/Display and configured the new Asus to be left and the laptop screen to be right, both at their max resolutions. Looks good. But when I log out or reboot, Kubuntu forgets everything and sends me back to 800x600 for both at clone. Also my bottom master panel is still on the right (laptop screen) and the pager has shrunk to where it won't properly display the icons of what's open. How can I keep these settings saved for good? How can I maybe move the panel over to the left (Asus) monitor?

Re: Two monitors causing problems...

I've found out this is a bug: 230872. Any resolution in sight?

Comment

Similar problem. I have an external LCD I use with my laptop. Things are getting real easy with KDE BTW, I spent a week trying to configure dual head only a couple of years ago, and this is pretty simple now. Anyway, it works great, but when I reboot I get single monitor at 1024x768 resolution.
      I'd love to hear of a way to make the settings stick.
      Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

All right, so no one has any ideas. Anyway, I logged out and logged back in and it seemed to remember the basic config, but I now have lost "transparency." For example, the panel doesn't do transparency, nor does Konsole. Konsole gives a funky warning when I try to change the color scheme: "...your desktop does not appear to support transparent windows."

Comment

How much RAM is in your laptop?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

2 gig

Comment

I have the same problem, and when I have the second monitor plugged in I get both set to 1024x768. If I then set the monitors to the auto setting values defined by System Settings > Display define the position as "right of", the display that I get on the second monitor shimmers. To capture this "feature" I had to use my camera. I am not sure haw to attach an image to a reply but here is my attempt to demonstrate the problem that I have. The video card that I have in my Laptop is an ATI Radeon X2300.

The "solution" that I have is to not have the second monitor connected when Kubuntu is booted. When it is up, I then plug-in the second monitor, or in some cases a digital TV screen, and then select System Settings > Display to set the monitor using the "auto" values and the position to "right of". After applying these settings, every thing works well. Unfortunately, this has to be repeated every time I reboot the computer .

I hope this problem is fixed soon.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys, this is a well known problem, go to the Post-installation support forum and find the thread entitled "Monitor resolution not retained on reboot"

You should find the answer there.

Good Luck !!

Comment

Working...
                X