This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail - animated gifs

Is it possible to insert an animated gif into a Kmail message, please? I find I am receiving some but have not been able to work out how to send.

I downloaded this gif and then attached it to a test email to myself.
    When it came back the animated gif was animated.

Perhaps it is because in "settings-->configure kmail-->security" I set "Prefer HTML", setting my email to display html content automatically.

However, I found no way to insert the message in between text. The attachment appends to the bottom of the text.

EDIT: There is an attachment option at the top of the advanced msg editor which will insert a previously loaded attachment at the point
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FacebookPeaBrain.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	642357
    where the text insertion I bar is located. What makes me sad is that I've done that before and didn't remember.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 28, 2014, 09:09 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just be aware that if you send that to users of Outlook they'll never see it animated. MS stopped allowing that sometime ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        Just be aware that if you send that to users of Outlook they'll never see it animated. MS stopped allowing that sometime ago.
        Too bad. That's just the tip of the iceberg of their problems if they are running Outlook.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Agreed. From what I know they saw it as a security issue. Exactly what and why they couldn't program around it is beyond me.

Comment

Agreed. From what I know they saw it as a security issue. Exactly what and why they couldn't program around it is beyond me.
            I don't know of any security issues with animated GIFs; people who claim such reasons for the lack of support for animated GIFs in Outlook probably don't know the real reason. The text editor in Outlook is Word. That's correct: even if you didn't explicitly install Word, Outlook still uses the core Word composition/rendering engine for composing and viewing text. Word has no support for showing animated GIFs -- it shows only the first frame in the file. That's because Word's primary purpose is creating static documents, sometimes even printed. If you want to see animations, select the "View in Browser" action:

Comment

Yes, I knew it was Word by default. That is what I read which goes to show you can't always believe what you read, but still; I think it a drawback with Outlook and not always ideal to open every e-mail in a browser just for that especially when Outlook past could handle it. FWIW and MHO.

Comment

Coming back to this after a (medical) virus delay :
                > I downloaded this gif and then attached it to a test email to myself.
                Cool! I like it - I will try it myself. As also this :
                > There is an attachment option at the top of the advanced msg editor which will insert a previously loaded attachment at the point
                > where the text insertion I bar is located.
                I did find an icon at the right end of the toolbar for inserting an image - apparently into the text - but that came back as an attachment below the message.

In passing, why should my picture not appear within the leftmost block as the rest of you's does? I have it in my profile.

Comment

"..... advanced msg editor ...."
                  Where do I find that, please?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
                    Where do I find that, please?
                    Jerry's referring to forum's advanced editor function. You can switch to that by pressing the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any reply window:

Comment

Kmail - animated gifs

> Jerry's referring to forum's advanced editor function. You can switch to that by pressing the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any reply window:

Thank you - but that is for only forum messages - not for 'outside' (i.e from me to another addressee) emails?

Comment

In passing, why should my picture not appear within the leftmost block as the rest of you's does? I have it in my profile.
                        In your Profile, you added a Profile image. It is only visible when viewing your Profile. To add an image that will appear in posts, you need to add an Avatar image. It can be the same as your Profile image or something else.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you - but that is for only forum messages - not for 'outside' (i.e from me to another addressee) emails?
                          I thought you were now asking about the software we use here on the forum.

Comment

> I thought you were now asking about the software we use here on the forum.

No, I was meaning for general email use - I receive some which are amusing and wondered if I could send likewise. But thank you for the help.

> .... you need to add an Avatar image.

Ah, so - I will try for that.

Comment

Working...
                            X