This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help regarding desktop "shortcuts"

Hello, this week I completely switched over to Ubuntu 6.10 (using the KDE GUI instead of Gnome) from Windows, and I have been having little trouble in my transition. However, I have been totally perplexed as to how to create destkop icons for the Trash bin, a Linux equivalent to "My Computer", and how to place an icon for my Home folder on the desktop. If possible, I would like to have the Linux equivalents to these useful icons on my desktop - is there a painless way to accomplish this?

Also, a semi-related question: is there any way I can add a shortcut for Google Earth to my Applications menu, in the Internet subfolder? Google's installer did not create any shortcuts itself, and I still don't know my way around Linux enough to do so on my own. :/

Re: Need help regarding desktop "shortcuts"

Hello,
    I'm pretty new myself, so I can't answer all of your questions. I've a Dutch system, so maybe some words I use are not exactly the same as on your system.
    To place shortcuts (icons) to any folder on your desktop: rightclick on the desktop, choose New (or Make new), choose Shortcut to location (URL-address)... (or Link to Location...).
    If you click on the folder down right you can navigate to any folder you like and make a shortcut on your desktop.
    I don't know what you exactly want to see with 'My computer', but you can look for yourself now what fits best.

I don't have an icon on my desktop for the trash bin, but on my taskbar. Rightclick on the taskbar and choose Add Applet. You get a list of possible things you can add, among it the trash bin. If you really want it on your desktop I don't know how to do it.

Peter

Comment

For a shortcut to the trash can simply create a shortcut to a folder as described in post above, and specify the linked location as trash:/ (this is the location that comes up from clicking on trash in my taskbar and selecting 'open in new window', it even sets up aright click 'empty trash bin' option automatically)

Comment

For something similar to My Computer create a shortcut with the location media:/
        My GoogleEarth is located in /opt
        Hope it helps

Comment

For any program that appears on your Kmenu menu lists, such as Google Earth on the "Internet" list, you can simply right-click the program name and choose "place on desktop" (approximate wording -- I'm stuck at the office on a Winbloze box).

Comment

Thanks to both of you, that did the trick.

However, is there any way I can add a link to Google Earth in the Internet directory of my K Menu?

Comment

1. My Computer: right-click on the desktop -> Create New -> Link to Location (URL) -> in the location field put system:/ (or media:/ as musta rhatina said, if you only want to see your devices)

2. Trash: lick what marshallbanana said, but I'm adding something. Right-click on the new Trash icon you just made, select Open With, and open it with kate (type it in the box that appears). then add this line

Code:
              EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
              Save the file. Now you will see a different icon if the trash is empty, and a different one if it isn't empty.

3. Google Earth: you can make your own menu entry. Right-click on the K Menu icon and select Menu Editor.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

To make trash-bin visible on the desktop, you can also edit (with a text editor) ~/Desktop/trash.desktop, and change:

NoDisplay=true to NoDisplay=false

(You may also need to log out for the change to take effect)

Comment

Working...
                X