This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu won't run

Hello everyone, all my friends had good things to say about Kubuntu so I've decided to try it. I have an Acer TravelMAte 2420 laptop. It comes with 3 partitions already on it, here they are in order:
    PQSERVICE - not sure what this is for
    C - this is the c: drive windows is on
    D - this was used for a secondary drive

So i deleted the 3rd partition, downloaded the alternate 6.10 .iso and burned at 1X. I booted with it and created a 3rd partiton with 2GB as a swap, primary, at the beginning. No problem there. Created a 4th partition as ext3 journaling file system with mount "/" and label "/" and bootable. All good, went on with the install, everything installed, GRUB was installed and I rebooted. First thing I did was check Windows XP, it works, when I go into Disk Management it shows all 4 partitions and 6GB of unpartitioned (I want to created a shared drive probably FAT32), but it won't let me create another partition from that unpartitioned space. So I rebooted and decided to try Kubuntu, I selected the first one and it showed the loading screen, then a bunch of text, then it started throwing a bunch of "I/O Buffer" errors with numbers before and after. It also does this in the second option for running Kubuntu from GRUB. Both options require a hard reset. So that's my problem and the fact that I can't create another partition from my 6GB of unpartitioned space for Windows XP and Kubuntu to share.

To be more specific on the error, it is as follows:

[171769616.700000] Buffer I/O error on device hd2, logical block 4538752

And that line continues but the numbers change.

Re: Kubuntu won't run

It sort of looks like the partitioning process has gone off-track somehow. Buffer I/O errors are common with hard disk failures, but since the windows part of your system works nicely, the primary suspect is the partitioner.

You could try reinstalling (possibly prepartioning the drive the way you want prior to installing...the GParted liveCD is one possibility for a partitioning tool)

As for not being able to create more partitions from the free space, if you already have four primary partitions, you can't create any more (not sure if that's the case on your setup, but it's a possibility). In that case create an extended (primary) partition and several logical partitions inside the extended partition.

Comment

Well I have the 2 partitions for windows, then a primary ext3 for Kubuntu, then an extended with 2 logical, 1 for swap and the other as a shared ext3 or fat32.

Comment

Originally posted by axipher
        Well I have the 2 partitions for windows, then a primary ext3 for Kubuntu, then an extended with 2 logical, 1 for swap and the other as a shared ext3 or fat32.
        I don't see anything wrong with that setup...so I'd recommend prepartitioning and reinstalling. Unless you wish to wait a bit for more input.

Comment

Working...
        X