X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not print with HP DeskJet 610C

Hello,

I have been trying for the last two days to get my HP Deskjet 610C to work with Kubuntu Desktop Environment v 3.5.5 running on Kubuntu version 6.10

Setting it up in a straightforward manner using the wizard results in it "printing" but only one line of goobledegook before ejecting the paper and getting the next sheet for another one line of goobledegook.

The set up is :

Type: DB driver
    Manufacturer: HP
    Model: DeskJet 610C hpijs
    Description: HP DeskJet 610C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP 1.6.9 [English]

I have tried setting the PPD file by selecting printer "others" but then I get no print at all. Although the job is in the print queue sending it to the printer in the printer in the system setting/printer control results in a "client-not-found error message.

I have tried setting it up by using the CUPS "internet" interface with no joy.

I have downloaded all the HP drivers in the Linux repository and cannot really believe that there is not something suitable there as the printer is 7 years old. I have checked the hpijs file against the one on linuxprinting.org and it is identical On my last Linux system kernal version 2.2.something running Red Hat the DeskJet was set as a local printer using lpt and it worked fine in that mode. I have tried to repeat this set up again but it will not print with this either.

I cannot believe that this should be a major problem, it is not a state of the art printer, I have just upgraded my version of linux (with corresponding machine upgrade to Athlon 64 bit is this the problem??). I do not need a photographic grade printer, just one that will add a bit of spot colour now and again to documents. If there is anyone from England reading this and using a HP printer at the lower end of the price range that works with their Kubuntu set up would they please let me know as I may just go and buy a new inexpensive one. I just cannot think what to try next.

I even tried setting it as a postscript printer but no go.

Thanks

Roy

setting ppd file myself printer wizard gives following as configuration

General
    Type: Local printer (parallel, serial, USB)
    Name: deskjethpijs

Backend
    Device: /dev/lp0

Driver
    Type: External driver
    Manufacturer: HP
    Model: HP DeskJet 610C hpijs
    Description: HP DeskJet 610C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP 1.6.9

Re: Can not print with HP DeskJet 610C

Crazy or what how many days wasted, and this is supposed to be progress grrrrrr.....

When searching for the port for the printer to use the system returns

parallel port serial lpt0

and then lower down on the list there are 2 others listed

lpt Canon

a couple of lines later

lpt Epson

what have the later two got to do with a parallel port

well, using the Epson gets the printer to work

I hate being mucked about by these machines rant rant

Roy

Comment

Working...