X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why won't KDE launch on boot?

Hello everyone.

this is the first time i've tried anything with linux, quite new to all of this....

i successfully installed kubuntu 6.10 on my powerbook g4 (ppc) to dual-boot with mac os-x. all of a sudden, when i boot, linux comes to a command-line prompt instead of launching the KDE GUI. How can I fix this?

I tried editing xorg.conf to adjust the touchpad settings....but have since re-built the file with "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"

thanks !!

pete

Re: Why won't KDE launch on boot?

O.k. then, let's try to narrow down what might be going wrong: what happens when, logged-in to the command line, you issue startx ... supposedly the system will not start the X server (read: launch the graphical interface) but spit out a bunch of error messages - which you please do "forward" to this forum to let us have a read and tell you how to proceed.

Comment

i have since just reinstalled and now kde comes up no problem.

but i cannot get my airport card to work. if i try to enable it via system settings, it disables itself after 2 seconds. i have extracted all of the bcm43xx-fwcutter stuff and modprobed....what am i doing wrong?

thanks

Comment

I tried to get an Air Port Extreme card going this summer and found that at that time there were no reliable drivers available, I even tried Yellow Dog. I hear that this set of drivers works http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ though I have not tried them yet. Good luck, please let us know if it helped
        Cameron Meeks<br />Ubuntu registered as user #16602<br />Linux registered as user #415113

Comment

AIRPORT EXTREME Instructions for Kubuntu Edgy Eft (PPC)

Alright. I successfully got my Airport Extreme card to work on my Powerbook G4 running Edgy Eft (PPC).

You need a working internet connection to do this (ie ethernet)

Here's what I did:

1. I turned on my universe and multiverse repositorites and updated and installed everything. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories). Double check that bcm43xx-fwcutter has been installed by running this:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
          2. I used the bcm43xx-fwcutter tool to extract it all:

Code:
          sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware
          3. I used the file I found here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=314036

Browse to the location of the file in the terminal (ie cd Desktop) then run this:

Code:
          sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta.o
          4. I ran the following:

Code:
          sudo modprobe bcm43xx
          HERE IS THE TRICK THAT MADE IT WORK FOR ME:

Code:
          sudo modprobe -r bcm43xx
          Code:
          sudo modprobe bcm43xx
          I then ran iwconfig and saw that eth1 (the name of my Airport) saw my network.

5. I went into Kmenu > System Settings > Network and disabled my ethernet connection, configured the ethernet connection to NOT launch at boot, enabled the wireless, and viola.

This might not work for everyone, but I kept on browsing forums until I found what worked for me. If you need WPA encryption, I think there might be an extra package you need to install.

Thanks to everyone in the community!!!

Comment

Working...
          X