This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partiton sizes

I just installed Kubuntu Edgy on a system with a pre-used 80gb drive. I used a 6.10 live CD and let it install more or less completely as it wanted, the only input from me being time zone etc, and because I was being a bit lazy I let the installer choose the partition sizes and reformat the drive as it wished. Later I fished about on the net and found a 'how-to-install' for Edgy which recommends manually setting partition sizes, and they look quite a bit different to what the installer did.

Should I resize the partitions according to the how-to, and if so do I do it by re-running the live CD and using QTparted?

Thanks for your help

Re: Partiton sizes

abunt,

Yes, you can reinstall using the live cd and qtparted, or just the partition tool that runs with the installer. I always install /home on a seperate partition to allow me to reinstall (just in case I get carried away) without having to format my home directories.

Someone else please comment on the following directions:

Use the first sectors on the disk for the swap partition, followed by the root "/" partition then the /home partition. Since the outside of the disc reads faster, placing the swap partition first allows for faster writes and reads to swap. The root partition next will allow faster writes and reads to system files.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
    X