X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gui root password

hello, i'm new to linux but i've figured most things out until now

what is the default root password in kde, sometimes inside the gui kde will ask me for the root password and when i enter the root password it gives me an error...i have no problem in the terminal, just inside the gui, i very much need to be able to reset this password or bypass it...

also, i made some mistakes trying to mount some drives

my system is set up like this
    2 hard drives,
    first hard drive mbr GRUB then 10 gb windows xp primary partition
    extended partition 10 gb program files for windows

second hard drive, first primary partition is kubuntu,extended partion 25gb fat32, another exended fat32 24gb finished off with the 1.5 gb linux swap file

now i went into System settings, clicked advanced then clicked disk and filesystems and tries to setup the mount information from there, i ended up with a bunch of icons on my desktop that i can't delete with the names of the drives i wanted to mount...like the two fat32 drives, i wanted to call /share and /share2 because i intended to share the files between windows and linux..i now have an icon that looks like a hard drive on my desktop names /share and /share2 but when i try to open it nothing is in it, while when i open it in windows it has my mp3.s
    and now i can't delete it because i don't have the root password that kde asks me for...

thanks...any help would be appreciated

Re: gui root password

there is no root password in Kubuntu, because by default, root is disabled. We use sudo (for command line) or kdesu (for GUI apps) to get admin/root privileges, and use the password of the user.

You might find this page helpful: http://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

ok, but when i click system settings, then advanced then login manager then adminstrator mode it asks for a password, i put in my root password and it rejects it, i try my user password, rejected...anytime i click an icon in kde that says admin mode it asked for my su password but won't take it.....i have no problem under terminal but inside kde i can't do anything

Comment

also, lets say i do try kdesu konqueror it asks for a password, i try my root password which WORKS in terminal, it says incorrect password, this is only happening in kde, not in gnome...it's very frustrating, how do i reset my kdesu password

Comment

You may also want to read this:
          http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/permissions

Edit:
          Code:
          kdesu konqueror
          asks for your user password, not your root one.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

when i try kdesu konqueror
            i get
            X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 154
            Major opcode: 143
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 154
            Major opcode: 143
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device

and a little windows that asks for a password, which is neither my root or user password

maybe i need to delete kde and reistall but i don't even know how to do that....i've been using linux for about a week...i started with gnome but when i saw kde i liked it a whole lot better, trouble is i can't seem to get anything done...so i'm going mildly crazy...and i'm not a novice computer person,. just new to linux...but that's enough if you come from a completely windows background...any help would be appreciated

Comment

It should be your user password if you're in the admin group.

Did you do anything else when you enabled the root account? Alter the /etc/sudoers file or take yourself out of the admin group?

To make sure your sudo is operating properly, follow these instructions:
              http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sudo
              Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

i just reinstalled everything and it's working right now, i don't know what the problem was and didn't have the linux background to trouble shoot it
                thanks for all the help though

Comment

When I do the Alt f2 it brings a run application, and when I put the code in it says "The location or file could not be found." I just want to install the drivers for my graphics card. I tryed for 3 days now and tired of the bs.

Comment

Probably you are issuing the command from a directory that is different than the file location. You'll have to decide whether you want to issue the command with the complete path to the file, or else change to the same directory where the file is located.

Were there instructions with the driver?

Comment

Working...
                    X