This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing ati drivers...

Ok, so I've got my first successful linux install going. I've got Kubuntu 64bit and now I'm trying to install my ati drivers. I made sure I got the 64 bit ones and so I follow the directions on the site and I keep getting an error, and a google search didn't help me too much.

So I navigate to my Desktop where the file is located and plop this on the cmd line.

sh ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run
    Then the installer comes up on the cmd line and eventually gives me this error...

==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: x86_64 (64-bit)
    X Server: Unknown X Window
    cp: cannot stat `x710_64a/usr/X11R6/bin/*': No such file or directory
    find: install/usr/bin/fireglcontrolpanel: No such file or directory
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install
    And sends me back to my desktop.

Now the only thing I can think of (which isn't much b/c I'm a nub) is I might be missing some pre-req packages. It says this on the faq:

Note: The following 32 bit packages must be installed in order for 64 bit drivers to install and work properly:
    · XFree86-Mesa-libGL
    · libstdc++
    · libgcc
    · XFree86-libs
    · fontconfig
    · expat
    · freetype
    · zlib

And I've got no clue how to check if I have those or even how to install them. Either way, once I get these drivers installed and get my sound to work (creative sound card) I'll be a happy camper and will finally be able to start shell scripting for my lab due monday.

Any help will be appreciated, and if you're really bored (ie very nice person :-p) you can get at me on aim @ grubeater5. Thanks in advance!

Re: Problems installing ati drivers...

Ok, so I've made some (i guess you could call it that) progress with the sound drivers. From what I found (and i guess this is common knowledge), all the drivers for creative soundcards are included in the install. So I went up to the little speaker icon in the tray, right-clicked, selected "select master channel" and then when the window popped up, it had my on-board soundcard selected in the drop down list. So I selected my Audigy from the list and to no avail I still have no sound!

I've tried playing audio cd's and they'll play on the screen but I hear nothing. And I've checked everywhere, no mutes are on. I think I'm finally starting to get frustrated, especially since everything is huge since my vid drivers aren't installed yet, lol...

EDIT: Just set it back to my on-board "NVidia CK8S" and plugged my speakers into it and now I've got sound...but that doesn't help anything with my sound card, and just proves to be more a bitch having to swap the cable depending on what OS I boot.....but at least I have some sound now!

Comment

Try installing the ati drivers from the Ubuntu Repositories. The 8.33.5 drivers have caused a lot of issues for people from what I have seen. In the Konsole try the following:
      Code:
      sudo aptitude update
      sudo aptitude install xorg-driver-fglrx
      sudo aticonfig --initial

Comment

Awesome!!! You are a godsend!

Now all I've gotta do is figure out why I'm not getting audio when my Auidgy is selected, read up some more on packages/compiling and I should be set! Thanks a lot!

Oooo, and one more question. I've got a logitech mx510 mouse which has the side buttons for going forward and back on websites and they don't want to work. Under mouse feature it says it recognized I had that mouse but it couldn't get it to work and said I should look at the manual. But none of the settings grayed out were for the buttons anyway. So I'm off to google this now, and hopefully I can find something if none of you guys know.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X