Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wireless assistant does not detect my router (updated)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless assistant does not detect my router (updated)

* Update to post below *
    re-installed kubuntu
    Wireless assist does now detect my router
    but says that the ESSID is hidden (it's not - router is set to broadcast SSID, and windows/mac pc's pick it up ok)
    I try and connect but times out with 'Connection failed'
    I am sure this is an issue with linux and not the hardware as we have 2 desktops, a laptop and an Apple mac (osX) all detecting and using the router correctly.

There is a 'linux drivers' folder with a makefile and pdf document on safecom's website, but although I am a programmer, I am new to linux and can't make this work.

Would really like to get to use kubuntu on the internet (I am a web developer so this is essential anyway). connecting via cable is not an option unfortunately.
    Please help if you can, or suggest an alternative usb wireless lan that I can use and install easily.

thanks in advance

Showman

-- original post ----

Just installed kubuntu on my pc and everything works fine except detecting my wireless router.

here is the situation

I have a netgear wireless adsl router DG834G and I live in a shared house and manage the router
    and the firewall.

I am using a savecom usb wireless lan stick (54 Mbps usb 2.0 lan adapter).

with the usb wirelass lan stick plugged in, the wireless assistant (0.5.5) picks up local routers
    except mine !

I've had the router and this lan stick for a while and am experienced in using the netgear router control panel.

normally, with the firewall down, the router detects the pc and the pc detects the SSID of the router.

but even with no access restrictions (no wep encryption either) the wireless assistant does not detect our router,

The usb lan stick is obviously working with kubuntu though as it picks up other router signals.

any suggestions welcome.
Working...
X