This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3b annoys me when DVD+-RW's are concerned

I always get problems when I try to use DVD-+RW's on K3b. If the DVD+-RW was never used before, then its fine. I am able to write to it. The problem comes when I try to erase (or in K3b terms: format) the DVD-+RW. I am puzzled as to what "Overwriting" or "Incremental" means, but I do it any way, and it's usually succesful. So I assume that the DVD is now erased. Now I try to burn some data on the DVD, it tells me that it found sequential data on the DVD, and asks me whether it should be formatted, which is wierd. I choose yes, takes some time to format it, then it asks me the question again O.o

I just am not able to write to used DVD-+RW's. However, if I switch to Windows and use Nero I get no problems at all.

Is this some kind of a limitation of K3b or something?

Re: K3b annoys me when DVD+-RW's are concerned

I am getting the same thing. Anyone?

Comment

Ok, after a bit of digging I found that if you run the following in terminal, it works...

kdesu k3b

Which means, you need some root privilege. What I did, which is probably not recommended but I have been meaning to do it for some time, was to go into Kcontrol and give myself all the privileges, even root. I was sick and tired of entering my password for system apps. This, I think, solved the burning issue. Not sure which exact privilege I needed for k3b, so I selected all of them.

Comment

You can also run 'k3b setup' form k3b's menus. It will prompt for your admin password and set up permissions and groups for you. I haven't tried burning dvd -rw's, but otherwise k3b works fine for me without doing this step, but it looks like it would be appropriate in some cases

Comment

Here is a better solution and mini-howto. This mostly effects burning dvd+/-rws, everything else pretty much worked.

In Kontact, select System Administration/User Management/Administrator Mode Button (login)/Groups Tab/New

Add a group named "burning", then save and close.

Open K3B and under Settings/k3b setup/(login as admin)/check the box for adding "burning" group. Close and save.

Go back into Kontact, select System Administration/User Management/Administrator Mode Button (login)/Users Tab

Select your account and hit the "modify" button. Under the category "secondary group" hit select button , then find the "burning" group on the left and add it to the right column. Save and close.

You should now have access rights to burn dvd+-rws.

Comment

that's what k3bsetup does automagically

Comment

Actually, that was what I thought initially, but unfortunately you have to go in and create the group burning. K3B does not do this automatically. In fact, if you don't, it will give you an error message that the group is not found.

Comment

Ahhh, it used to work I guess, or I had somehow added that group for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                X