This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do all programs run on a PowerPC?

Ok I am totally new to the whole linux world, and I am pretty much loving the idea of something totally new.

My question is do all programs built for kubuntu run on a PowerPC G5? Are there only a select few programs I can run?

Re: Do all programs run on a PowerPC?

All the programs that normally come with x86 Kubuntu you'll also have with PowerPC. It will be the same for most Open-Source software, with a few exceptions here and there(like Wine). The bigger problem is that just about no closed-source software is built for Linux PowerPC. This means that things like Flash, Win32 codecs or closed source 3D drivers will NOT work on PowerPC.

For flash there is the open-source project called Gnash, which is creating an open flash player(which works on PowerPC). It's nowhere near the functionality that Adobe Flash offers, but since Flash does not work for PowerPC it's better than nothing.

If you have an ATi card then you're lucky because there are open-source ATi drivers that work on PowerPC, this way you can have 3D accelaration in PowerPC Linux.

Also I heard something about Ubuntu not being able to boot on G5's, so you'll have to look into that.

Comment

Re: Do all programs run on a PowerPC?

Thanks for the reply!

Well I do have an ATI 9600, so that should work for 3d.

As for the G5 problem, all versions of Ubuntu run on them it is just they don't detect the G5's thermal sensing fans and run them at FULL speed. Sounds somewhat like a dust buster. Apparently you can compile the kernal and enable it but I don't want to even learn that. Lucky for me the new beta 7.04 runs my fans at the right speed and it's up to herd 2 so I feel safe enough with it.

Well then I think I might have to give it an install, being I don't really need flash (still have OSX) and I never expected WINE to work anyway.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Comment

Working...
      X