This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i Remote into my kubuntu desktop from my windows pc

any ideas guys im running a mac and a pc already and dont want to have to buy anymore stuff but i have just set up my linux machine and i was wondering if there was a remote desktop type thing that i could connect to my linux machine from my windows pc??

urgent help please guys

Re: Can i Remote into my kubuntu desktop from my windows pc

I have tried this and I got the best result from using FreeNX. Just use the instructions in the Wiki. Just install the *.deb-files that the page links to. Then I used the Windows client found here, for some reason it was important to use version 1.5.0-114. I also followed the instructions in the Desktop guide to enable auto-login on my Kubuntu

Comment

Besides the commandline tool Putty, wich is free and I myself have good experiences with, you can get a graphical login with x-win32 (unfortunatly, it costs money)

Comment

jono713,

If you just want to access your Linux computer via a command line you could use:
        ssh or telnet

If you want to access the xwindows system, then you could use:
        VNC from your Microsoft computer.

with:
        krfb from your KDE Linux computer.

For krfb see: 'The Desktop Sharing Handbook' from the KDE help documentation.

psb154

Comment

If you only need two concurrent users or less. NX Server Free Edition could be useful.

http://www.nomachine.com

Just download the debs (nxclient, nxnode, nxserver), install them, download the client (windows or Mac OS). It's quite easy to setup.

Javier.

Comment

To remotely access your Kubuntu Desktop from Windows, I would suggest Tight VNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html); use the client portion. Tight VNC usually uses the 5900 port but you can setup your own port if you want. On Kubuntu to setup the server go: KMenu --> Internet --> krfb --> Configure --> Select the following:

- Allow uninvited connections
            - Announce service on the network
            - Announce uninvited connection to control the desktop
            - Set a password

This should allow you to connect.

Comment

Working...
            X