This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up a small lan? please help

Hello all, this is my first post here, after searching a lot in the net i could not find a solution so i made a topic, i hope i dont ask something already answered many times

I am a complete noob in linux, i just installed the latest kubuntu (a64 edition if that makes any difference) on my laptop and it seems to work good..

since i am a noob in linux (i am not a noob in computers tho) i have quite many problems, like cannot install new vga drivers etc.. anyway i will search about this and other issues.. my main problem is described below:

My main PC is connected through ethernet lan to the internet (DSL connection), also has a second ethernet network card installed. What i used to do is to connect the laptop to the main pc through ethernet so it can have internet (shared connection). But this worked when when i had Windows XP in laptop.. now my laptop has (like i mentioned) the latest Kubuntu linux and my main PC has Windows XP professional SP 2...

please tell me how to set up a lan between them to share files and internet connection.. i tried changing the ip's but nothing, tell me what settings i must make in both pc's

please tell me with easy to understand steps, as i said i am a real noob in linux

Thanks in advance for any response!

Chris

Re: Set up a small lan? please help

It's fairly simple. Get Firestarter and DHCP (type into konsole sudo apt-get install firestarter dhcp, and put in your password), and then follow the wizard. If you miss anything out, go to preferences, and change the options in firestarter.

D1SxEyes

Comment

ok i just tried this, typed the command: sudo apt-get install firestarter dhcp

after typing the password successfully, it replied "cannot find firestarter" or something (cannot tell the exact phrase because it is in not in english - i set up kubuntu in my language, greek)

tell me if i needed to do something more, do i need to download this firestarter or.. ?

by the way i connected the adsl modem directly to the laptop now and internet works fine.. but of course that is just a temporary solution, what i need is to connect the laptop to the main pc and the main pc to the modem so both pcs have internet

at least i know that the problem is not about the network card drivers or something, since it works fine when i connect the laptop to the modem

so its just about the settings

thanks for the reply by the way

Comment

Chrismis,

Regarding firestarter not installing, could be that your Repositories have not been set up yet.

If this is the case, take a look at this thread to help you set them up:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...49995#msg49995

psb154

Comment

Originally posted by psb154
          Chrismis,

Regarding firestarter not installing, could be that your Repositories have not been set up yet.

If this is the case, take a look at this thread to help you set them up:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...49995#msg49995

psb154
          Thanks for the reply

sorry for being a noob, but i cannot understand anything in the guide at this link even though i tried to

Comment

Try this then:

KDE menu > Adept Manager Manage Packages
            - You will be prompted for your password.
            The Adept Manager will start.

From Adept Manager click the menu: View > Manage Repositories
            A list of URLs will appear. These are links to software repositories.

If you have not enabled any your self then many of them will be grayed out. Those that are enabled will appear as black.

Those *grayed out* lines that begin with: deb
            Right click them and select Enable.
            Those lines should now turn black.

At the bottom of the Adept Manager click the Apply button.

At the top left of Adept Manager click Fetch Updates button.

Adept Manager should now update its list of available software.

From a prompt try to install Firestarter again:
            sudo apt-get install firestarter

psb154

Comment

That'd be ideal, if you could do that, you shouldn't have any problems.

Cheers,

D1SxEyes

Comment

Working...
              X