This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Drive Partitioning

I have just installed a 500GB external HDD. I formatted it with gaparted using ext2. I have noticed that though in gparted the partition shows to be 475GB, when I look at properties of the drive, it reads that the drive is only like 10GB. Could someone please explain as to why the drive is not showing the whole 475GB? Also, how do I relabel the HDD (i.e. usbdisk to linux_HDD)? Thank you.

Re: Hard Drive Partitioning

I don't think Linux has "labels" for disk drives the way you think of them in DOS/Windows.

Here is one of the better dissertations that I found, regarding how and why to partition disk drives -- it covers a lot of territory in a noobie-friendly way:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Good luck with it!

Comment

Nice article. Thank you. I tried to edit the fstab file to accomplish my task, but it did not work. What I am trying to do is this. My external drive is currently recognized as usbdisk(/dev/sda1/usbdisk); this was done automatically when I first partitioned the drive. I want to change it to be recognized as linux(/dev/sda1/linux). How can I do this?

Comment

Open Konqueror. Go to media:/.

I have it added to the sidebar, so I can't remember where it is in a stock kubuntu. You can just type media:/ in the address bar.

Now a couple of icons, representing your media will appear, right click on it, select rename. Give it a nice name.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
        X