This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing the Grub Boot-list options ?

How do I edit the options on the Grub boot-list ?
    What I want to do is that when I boot my computer I only get like
    two or three options on which os to start.
    By default I have like 5 different options for kubuntu and one for Windows.
    Id like it to be like:
    Kubuntu
    Windows
    Kubuntu "safemode" or whatever you might call it in linux

Thanks !

Re: Editing the Grub Boot-list options ?

Okay, I found this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=12720.0
    But still If someone could be a bit more specific on what the different options
    and syntax of this menu.lst file is ?

Thanks Again

Comment

Alt-F2
      Code:
      kdesu konqueror
      Then go to the /boot/grub directory, make a backup copy of the menu.lst file, and the click it to edit it with Kate or KWrite.

I would advise--instead of deleting entries--commenting out entries you don't want. To comment out a line (make it invisible to Grub but visible to you), just put a # sign at the beginning of the line.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for that and for future reference I found this:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

Comment

please note that during distribution upgrades the kernel entries will be generated again. If you want your windows entry to be safe, place it below
          "### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"

Of course you can copy this entry to make it also the second entry (but this second entry will disappear after a distribution upgrade, so you will need to copy it again then).
          Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Correct me if I'm wrong but cant' I simply just backup the reconfigured menu.lst and replace the new generated one after an upgrade ?

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
              Alt-F2
              Code:
              kdesu konqueror
              Then go to the /boot/grub directory, make a backup copy of the menu.lst file, and the click it to edit it with Kate or KWrite.

I would advise--instead of deleting entries--commenting out entries you don't want. To comment out a line (make it invisible to Grub but visible to you), just put a # sign at the beginning of the line.

Hi. I have been searching all day for a way to do this (changing the boot options), and I seem to have finally found it here....but -

I am VERY new to Linux. I had my friend install Kubuntu on my laptop (dual boot with WinXP) so that I could try and learn, but really the most I have done so far is sign in and take a look around...

I am also very new to command line, and when you say "Alt-F2 Code:..." all I see is a gray box with the words "kdesu konqueror" in it. But then you continue on with your instructions: "Then go to the /boot/grub directory..."

I attempted clicking on the "Code" box (I thought that it might take me to a link or something similar where I could copy & paste a code from) but nothing happened...

I'm sorry - I'm trying to teach myself how to use Linux, and I fear that my newb status may be a little extreme...

but am I missing a step here? Do I need to be in Kubuntu before I hit Alt-F2? Am I supposed to just type 'kdesu knoquerer' in Terminal? (Should I be embarrassed for even asking these questions?)

thanks for any help you can give...

--fresh green newb

Comment

sorry, I did not have any notification on on this topic.

Are you already getting into Kubuntu?

ALT+F2 is a shortcut to pressing the launchbutton (in Windows labelled 'start') and then 'Run command'

"the code" is typed into the text field that appears. With "kdesu konqueror" you will start a file browser with administrator (superuser or 'su'; now look again at kdesu, makes sense doesn't it? ) rights. This enables you to alter system files, which are not accessible to normal users.

you can also enter this command in a terminal, for example 'konsole' in Kubuntu.
                Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Working...
                X