This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash for firefox

I installed Flash 7.0 from http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...sion=Netscape4
    as user and because it didn't work yet, also as root.
    I have packages gsfonts and gsfonts-x11 installed.

Still sites using flash give the error that I need flash installed. What can I do to make it work?
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Re: Flash for firefox

Did your installation finish without errors? Did you create a hard link in the firefox's plugin folder for flash? Please give more details.

Comment

thank you for your reply

installation finished without errors

I did not create any hard link, I did not know I had to. Guess I should do that in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ but where should it point to?
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

I had to make flash work in an annoyingly hard way. However, you don't have to make the mistakes. Go to the following link http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy. First read the general notes and add the extra repositories. Then follow the directions on how to install flash player plugin. This wiki has never let me down.

Comment

sadly, it let me down

as root:
          update-flashplugin
          Downloading... done.
          automatic installation failed due to network problems or upstream changes

So I installed libflash-mozplugin, it wasn't there yet. But it made no difference. Firefox does not crash, so the next lines are not for me. It just keeps stating I need flash whenever I try to see a website needing it.

I guess the hardlink is the problem, but I need to know where to link to, because I cannot find where the flash-plugin resides?
          I thought it might be /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/ but there is nothing in this folder.

Comment

Download flash from adobe's website, and copy 'libflashplayer.so' and 'flashplayer.xpt' to your plugin folder.

Comment

Working...
            X