Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 6.06.1 administrator mode...help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 6.06.1 administrator mode...help!

Apologies for a question that has probably been asked hundreds of times, but the answers I've found have either not worked or added to confusion. Been using PC since 100MB was a big drive, and I used to know DOS a bit, but have been using windows exclusively until two days ago. My install seems good and I'm generally enjoying Kubuntu.

I've been trying to install my printer (HP) and I get an error that the driver doesn't exist or I don't have required privileges. I used the "administrator mode" button and logged in successfully, but the error persists. I had a similar problem earlier when trying to move some files and documentation said to log in as a superuser, but the instructions to do so were incorrect as far as I could see (one step was wrong). Please tell me I don't have to learn a bunch of text commands again (like DOS). I don't mean to be a weenie, but it was the apparent simplicity of this OS that appeals to me and I don't have endless hours to spend learning how to do things that should be easy.

My rave is over, I've been working on this off and on all day... sorry. Please help and I'll try to be good... and I really am appreciative.

Re: Kubuntu 6.06.1 administrator mode...help!

Hi,

I am not an expert linux user (yet), but you might try adding your username in /etc/group to the lpadmin group.

Start konsole (using the launch button, it's under System) or another terminal program.

first look whether your name is already a member of groups adm, admin and lpadmin:
    type "cat /etc/group | grep adm"

if you do not see your user name behind these three groups, add it by using
    "sudo kwrite /etc/group"
    A text editor will pop-up and enables you to make changes to the file. Just add your username in group adm/admin/lpadmin in the way you see it in other groups.

Please also check if cups is running. To do so, go to System Settings -> Advanced -> System services and look for cupsys;
    OR try the following to train your command line skills
    start konsole again and type "ps aux | grep cups"
    If it is running you will see an entry containing the text "/usr/sbin/cupsd"

Another suggestion might be to browse http://localhost:631/
    It is the web interface of your CUPS (common unix printer system) server. You could also try to add a printer there.

If your problems are not solved, please post again. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help you.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Thank you for the tips. I did the steps you indicated and it appears that I am indeed logged in as administrator, which makes it seem likely that the printer drivers simply are not there. Is it possible that they need to be loaded separately from the OS and all the updates? I tried several of the listed drivers and got the same message: either I'm not logged in as ADMIN or the files do not exist. Is there some procedure that I need to perform to obtain the drivers?

Comment

normally you do not have to install HP drivers

However, probably not all printers are supported. What type of printer is it?

Try to check a list of supported printers. Maybe this site gives you a clue:

http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/suplist.shtml

If you have an multi-in-one-machine you might try to install their package hpoj via Synaptic.
        Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

It's a HP 960c, fairly common, good middle-road printer. I tried to print to it before this whole driver thing, but it just spit out a some random characters and a lot of paper. The driver list shows at least a half-dozen possibles specifically for the 960c, but my attempts returned the same error each time. I'll check the list you suggested and see if I get any ideas. Thanks.

Comment

It should just work with foomatic+hpijs.
            Did you accidentally check one of the options "Postscript printer" or "Raw printer"?

Were you able to print a test page?

You could also try to select a different print system. (It's in System settings -> Printers, look at the bottom right). If CUPS isn't selected, do so now, if it was, try another one.

Comment

Working...
            X