• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusted xorg.conf now kubuntu hangs on boot

Hi all,

Dapper up-to-date-ish.
    No name widescreen monitor.

I started my pc without the monitor connected, and after re-connecting it and restarting, I could only see 640x480 instead of the 1280x800 I had set it at in xorg.conf when I initially installed Kubuntu.
    Right , I thought, I can do that .. so I adjusted xorg.conf again as (I think) before. However, now kubuntu hangs just before the login screen appears.
    I made a back up of the original xorg.conf but I cant see whats going on in order to get back to it.

Can anyone suggest a way forward , please?
    Thanks.

Conflict is sleep. Peace is awakening.

Re: Adjusted xorg.conf now kubuntu hangs on boot

Log in to the console, than enter sudo cp [pathToFile]/[backupFile] /etc/X11/xorg.conf (e.g. sudo cp /tmp/xorg.conf.orig /etc/X11/xorg.conf), confirm overwriting, restart your system - and hope for the best

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

How do I open the console if Kubuntu hangs at start up?

Comment

I assumed that at least you were able to reach the point where the graphical interface crashes - which, in turn, would mean that the "non-graphical" part of your system would have been "up and running".

However, when the machine seems to "freeze", you may try the key combination [Ctrl][Alt][F1] - thus (hopefully) reaching a prompt where you can log in ...

If all else fails, another option would be to boot from a so-called live system and restore the file in question "from the outside", as described on this page.

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

[Ctrl][Alt][F1] got me there and the solution you offered worked a treat.
          Learning as I go ...

Now to get the monitor back on a usable resolution.

Many thanks for your help.
          My girlfriend (her pc) sends xx

Cheers

Comment

Keep sticking to the (very clever) habit of "first back-up, then blow-up" this way, you will learn a lot without loosing much 8)

Birdy (aka littleDrHouse)

P.S.: keep your girlfriend, send me her PC :P

Comment

Working...
            X