X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

log out problem with laptop

I have a toshiba satellite 120 gig hard drive, 1024 mb ddr, intel core duo
    kubuntu is duo booted when I use log out to shut the system down or hybernate it doesnt work it just goes to a blank screen without shutting down the system remains powered up ,I know this becouse the
    on button is still blue, it turns yellow to hybernate

Re: log out problem with laptop

when I try to do this:
    1. Edit the file /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc as follows: change the line # TerminateServer=true to TerminateServer=true, in other words: remove the leading #, thereby "uncommenting" the line and "setting" the parameter mentioned to an "active state", so to speak.

2. Edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst as follows: change the line # defoptions=quiet splash to defoptions=quiet splash apm=power-off, thereby uncommenting as well as changing the default list of boot parameters ... which is not exactly what I suggested earlier, but should end up with the same result (and is easier to explain).
    I get the message:
    The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:///etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc.
    Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.

How do I check the write access

Comment

Both file are preset to "write access for root only". Therefore, in order to edit them, launch the editor as well as load the file in question "doing as root does", for example from the console by

Code:
      sudo kwrite /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
      sudo kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
      However, please do not change the file's setting (read: ownership and access rights, respectively) - they are the way they are on purpose ...

HTH
      Birdy

Comment

Originally posted by penguin.ch
        Both file are preset to "write access for root only". Therefore, in order to edit them, launch the editor as well as load the file in question "doing as root does", for example from the console by

Code:
        sudo kwrite /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
        sudo kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
        However, please do not change the file's setting (read: ownership and access rights, respectively) - they are the way they are on purpose ...

HTH
        Birdy
        Are you saying dont make the changes needed for shutdown

Comment

Originally posted by claudfoot
          Are you saying dont make the changes needed for shutdown
          Of course not - nice try, though what I wanted to keep you from trying was / is to change ownership (by chown) as well as permissions (by chmod) of mission-critical files, for example to something like "owned by user, accessible by everyone" ... changing their contents, on the other hand, is dangerous but sometimes inevitable - but do yourself a favour and backup the file(s) before you start experimenting, for example by

Code:
          sudo cp /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc.orig
          sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.orig
          - just in case ...

Birdy

Comment

Thank you I now am able to use log out to power down
            I have a few more things to check and make sure they work in kubuntu once they do I may dump xp
            from my hard drive or resize ntsf to its smallest size possible Im not sure yet

Comment

Working...
            X