This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard drive permissions

I have a partition on my hard drive which is ntfs file system, i have managed to mount it and change its ownership in the system settings and i can now read from it but cannot write to it.
    I searched the forums and the answer seems to be running konqueror as root ie. "kdesu konqueror" and changing permissions on the properties tag but if i try this my storage media folder is empty. If i try "sudo konqueror" and try to open the storage media folder i am told "the kde media manager is not running".
    If i open konqueror normally i can browse the partition with no problems.
    Does anybody have any ideas?
    Cheers, Hiro.
    I probably should have included this, it is the line from /etc/fstab relating to this partition.

/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 ntfs defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0

Re: hard drive permissions

Please read "How can I Get full access for Windows Driver" at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=12181.0
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the link arochester but i seem to be making a bit of a horlick of this. I didn't know that ntfs support was so poor but it isn't a problem as i am quite happy to change the partition to a linux one as it is only a hangover from dual boot days.
      So, i installed qtparted and formatted the partition as ext3, i altered the relevant line in /etc/fstab to this:
      /dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 ext3 defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0

From the link you gave i got the following command :
      sudo umount -a && sudo mount -a

Even after running this command i still cannot mount the drive i get the following error:
      mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
      missing codepage or other error
      The out put of fdisk -l (another command i found by searching) gives:
      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/hdb1 1 7475 60042906 7 HPFS/NTFS

This seems to say that it still thinks it is an ntfs partition. Can you please tell me what i am doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hiro
        This seems to say that it still thinks it is an ntfs partition. Can you please tell me what i am doing wrong.
        Did you remember to 'Commit' changes in qtparted, it doesn't perform the actions you define instantaneously...you need to click commit to actually do the changes you've defined?

Comment

Yes i did commit the changes and if i re-open qtparted it now says that the partition is a ext3 one. Everyone seems to say there is no need to reboot a linux box but i am wondering if that may do it.
          Any more thoughts anyone?

Addition. I have even been and reformated the drive again with qtparted and still have the same problem. It still says it is an ext3 partition but fdisk -l still says otherwise and it still will not mount. Is it possible that qtparted thinks it is formatting it correctly but it isn't? Is it able to reformat ntfs partitions, maybe i should try to reformat to fat32 and see what happens then.

Comment

I have never had any luck with Qtparted regardless of the file system. I've use Partion logic several times now and it always works. Its a free download, Give it a try,

http://partitionlogic.org.uk/
            ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Things go from bad to worse! I reformatted the drive with qtpqrted as a fat32 partitiion and fdisk -l now shows it as being that. Altered fstab to read:

/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0

Now the mount error says "mount special device /dev/hdb1 does not sxist", i looked in /dev and there is no hdb1 but these is a hdb so i changed fstab to read hdb instead and now get the error "cannot find /dev/hdb1 in fstab or mtab".
              I assume i need to mount it on /dev/hdb1 but do i need to create this point first? Can anybody shed any light please.

Comment

" Mounting Windows Partitions in Ubuntu" is a bit fuller and might help. It can be found at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                X