This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The differences

I've searched around the wiki and the forums but have sadly been unable to find a list of differences in the two different installation media's. would someone possibly be able to tell me the differences between the CD and DVD installs. Because I would be hard-pressed to have wasted almost a day downloading the DVD copy of Kubuntu, only to find out that the CD is exactly the same thing. If someone could point me to a place that will tell me all of the differences, if there are any, that would probably make a great ending to a bad day. Thanks in advance to any help that I can get.

Re: The differences

The DVD contains a most of the programs and libs in the repositories.

All of these are available by download. If you have some weird wireless set up and think you won't have an internet connection after the install the DVD may come in handy. It also works well for heavy duty system problems without a network connection. If you have no internet at all it would also be useful.

The repositories change along the way. How current the DVD repositories are I couldn't say.

For your standard plain jane install you don't need the DVD.

Comment

As podunk said.

This is from http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

The Desktop CD runs a live desktop directly from the CD and can install to your hard disk. The Alternate CD includes a text based installer for low memory, LVM or RAID installs.

The DVD contains both Live Desktop and Alternate installers, as well as the other packages in our main archive.

More:
      what is the diffrence from an ubuntu cd or dvd
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1869007

aysiu said:
      The DVD has more--it has the entire contents of the Main and Restricted repositories.

Each Ubuntu CD (or Kubuntu CD or Edubuntu CD or Xubuntu CD) has only a particular desktop environment and a few applications.
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks so much for the help and clearing that up for me. I think I'm just going to end up with the CD instead.

Comment

Working...
        X