This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with sources.list

I got tons of problems with the sources.list file -and i can't find any solution in the kubuntu forum-.

First of all i can't run apt-get because the "first line of sources.list is too long".
    Then, i did some investigation in the sources.list file:

**Dunno why, it is unreadable, and it weights 7,2Mb!!!

**its propietary is an "unknown user" called 3031##54#5 that does not exist in my system.

I try just to delete it and substitute the file with a new one, but and i can't modify it even with "sudo" nor logging in as "root"_ "The action is not allowed".

Later i tryed to create a new user -with the same name of the propietary of "sources.list"- and log in as this user just to remove the sources.list file, but it didn't work anyway. The action is not allowed again.

I need some new ideas or solutions please.

Thank you in advance and have a nice 2007.

Re: Problems with sources.list

Hi,
    my sources.list is very small just few Kb. You wrote that you cannot access your source.list.
    If you want to get rid of it, and substitute it with a file that looks more normal, you could try to boot Kubuntu from CD and remove/replace this weird sources.list as sudo.
    But before doing that I would wait for the response of more competent people than I am (I switched to Linux just few months ago), because the problem might have a deeper origin.
    Hope that can help,
    best,
    Marco

Comment

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

This was a big help for me when I wanted to change my source.list, you should be able to replace you current source.list file, but you will have access to many more apps.

Comment

Can you post your list here?

In konsole you could try to remove it(sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list) but you would need to replace it with a fresh one. You could download one from sourceomatic.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

a nice list of repository can be found also here

http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/blog/list...kubuntu-linux/

I took selected repositories and added them manually to my sources.list
          best,
          Marco

Comment

Originally posted by jimenezgarciacarlo
            **Dunno why, it is unreadable, and it weights 7,2Mb!!!
            **its propietary is an "unknown user" called 3031##54#5
            That is what I would call "the ultimate crap" in order to get rid of this as well as get a useful list of repositories in place, you may try

Code:
            sudo chown root.root /etc/apt/sources.list
            sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.crap
            sudo touch /etc/apt/sources.list
            which - hopefully - will result in a new, empty, factual plain text file, to be filled with contents as mentioned by the previous posters.

Birdy

Remark: my sources.list (just in case you are curious)

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

I got fresh sources.list ...so no problem on that. The problem is the corrupted sources.list that i can't get rid of.

I tried to use the "Live_cd" tip, with Knopixx, but it didn't work (the same message when i tried to remove the file). I also tried to mount the HDD in another PC just to try to destroy it!

The main problem is that even with sudo i cannot change nothing in that file. This is the reply from the system:
              • me@me:~$ sudo chown root.root /etc/apt/sources.list
                Password:
                chown: cambiando el propietario de `/etc/apt/sources.list': Operación no permitida

My system is in spanish... i'd translate the message as:

Chown: Changing the owner of `/etc/apt/sources.list': Operation not allowed

Comment

Originally posted by jimenezgarciacarlo
                The problem is the corrupted sources.list that i can't get rid of.
                Maybe I expressed myself too vaguely - the basic idea is that as "live system's root" (not: as "installed system's root") you should be able to manipulate every file on your harddisk, simply because the live system "overrides" the file properties set by the installed one.

Birdy

Comment

I tried the LiveCD thing and y was not able to mount my Hard Disk...

But in the reboot the system made a system check of the disk and found some inconsistecies (dunno if i wrote that right )... Anyway THERE WAS AN INCONSISTENCY so i run the fsck order and get some fixes.
                  When i rebooted the computer the sources.list corrupted was erased.

I dunno how, but the problem is fixed.

Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                  X