This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB SATA drive

Good afternoon Guys, I wonder if you'd be able to assist me in a little problem I'm having.

I have a Serial ATA drive for which I have been using on my Windows desktop connected via a SATA->USB adaptor, therefore currently in the format of NTFS.

I plugged it into my kubuntu laptop and using fdisk -l is shown up as /dev/sda1 and of the format NTFS. I've tried mounting it, similar to what I did with my internal NTFS drive but when I attempt to view the drive it says :///file/media/NTFS (to that effect anyway) you do not have the required permissions to view.

So, I have tried CHMOD 777 of the drive, but alas, no effect.

Am I missing something or is there something I need to do? For the record, the drive has a lot of data on it which I do not want to lose, so formatting and repartitioning is not an option. I managed to do it fine with an internal drive, just seems like this external one is a wee bit more awkward!

Cheers for your help everyone.
    Mike.

p.s. can anyone tell my why I'm unable (from the terminal) to edit files? I do the usual sudo gedit but it doesn't work. Some show gkedit. Maybe I should used kedit? For either of these commands it says command not known ?

Re: USB SATA drive

Have you tried to add a line to your fstab or mtab to reflect the drive?

As for editing try kdesu kate or kdesu kwrite.
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
      Have you tried to add a line to your fstab or mtab to reflect the drive?

As for editing try kdesu kate or kdesu kwrite.
      Ah, good point! No, I totally forgot. Thanks for the pointer mate

Comment

Just a quick post to say cheers. Once I added it to my fstab it worked a treat.

Thanks for helping a newbie out I'm learning every day! It's been almost a week now and no sign of turning back yet.

Comment

Working...
        X