This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely new to Linux...

alright, well I bought an Inspiron 7500 off my friend for 40$ without a hard drive, had my uncle put a hard drive in it, and he installed Kubuntu Linux so it would run faster than windows, which was fine by me.
    I have a few questions, so please bear with me.

first off, I have a Netgear WG511 wireless card, where would I be able to find drivers for it, so i can get it to work? It detects that there was a card inserted into Slot 0, but not that it is a wireless card.

I also have a USB Flash drive, how would I be able to mount it so I can access the files in it, because buring everything to a CD is a pain, and a waste.

I also have no idea when version i have or anything, just that its Kubuntu, any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks a ton,
    T_S_L

Re: Completely new to Linux...

Originally posted by T_S_L
    I also have a USB Flash drive
    Have you tried using it yet? As my USB flash drive just worked, no setting up required (it appeared both on the desktop and in /media). If you have tried using it then what happened when it was plugged in?

Comment

nothing shows up in /media when i plug it in

dmesg | tail shows

sd 0:0:0:0: attached scsi removable disk sda
      sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

which means it detects it, correct?

Comment

nothing shows up in /media when i plug it in
        ... and what about media:/ (to be entered as address in Konqueror's location bar)?

Comment

That worked, thanks. [forgot about konquerer because I'm a n00b].

I also am hoping to find out what wireless card my uncle preinstalled on this computer, so I wont have to go through all the trouble of installing the WG511

Comment

I also am hoping to find out what wireless card my uncle preinstalled on this computer
            You may try [sudo] lspci and/or [sudo] dmesg to gather some hopefully useful information on this topic ...

HTH
            Birdy

Although some tend to forget, in the beginning, every one of us has been a noob.

Comment

Working...
            X