X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General upgrade and versions question

Hi,

I'm currently planning on completely switching from Windows to Linux and so far I really like Kubuntu. However the one thing that I still feel a little uncomfortable with is the whole versions-based software distribution system. A lot of times I had bad experiences with upgrading to new distribution versions in different distributions (like Suse, for example). Also I don't know yet if I like the idea that the distribution decides which programs should be updated or added and how my system should behave.

For this reason I'm wondering how do most of you handle this? Do you upgrade to the newest version once it is out? Does it work flawlessly? Does it mean you have to reapply everything you changed in your system that's beyond user-based settings?

I already got a little annoyed with that without even upgrading when a new kernel got installed and I had to reapply suspend2.

Actually for all this reasons I'm thinking about using Gentoo instead cause from what I understand it is not versions based and gives more freedom to the user. However I'm unsure if this is a wise decision because I don't want to have to configure a lot all the time but want to have a system that just works.

I really prefer Linux over Windows but this is the one thing that still bugs me. In Windows I can just install updates for a couple of programs I want and it won't effect the overall system at all. In Linux I still have the feeling that I either have to use old versions or upgrade everything.

I'd be very happy about some insight about this from experienced users. Also if you have some links that better explain this, please post them.

Thanks a lot!

Tobias

Re: General upgrade and versions question

Well first off upgrades in the repository are only "patches" in windows...

... and kernel updates are only "sp''s" in windows, both of which can render installed programs useless...

You can decide whether or not to update any programs. If you so choose you can make the changes yourself.

I fail to see the difference, your using linux think outside the "old" box.

Comment

G'day, therobbot

I have been running ubuntu (and now Kubuntu) since August last year. Started with Hoary, upgraded to Breezy, then Dapper and now Edgy Eft. All upgrades have gone pretty well. The only times I ran into problems was my own inexperienced fault. I have now learnt that a person with my limited experience and knowledge should wait until the final release of the new version instead of upgrading to a beta version.

I love the fact that the OS is upgraded every 6 months. I also like the regular updates received to keep all apps. that are installed on my machine the latest and greatest. I know that everything on my box is working as best it can with the latest available software for this particular release.

Just my 2c, hope it may have helped.

Regards

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi Lowey,

do updates really introduce new versions of programs? I always thought only upgrades do this. Except if you install apps from the backports...

Other than that... the main reason I got mad at the upgrading process was when I upgraded from Dapper to Edgy and suddenly all links to media:/ pointed to /media and automatic opening of audiocds in Konqueror didn't work well anymore. I just don't like to upgrade to find that basic functionality has been broken.

@jaybombalous: it's just that in Windows I never had the case that something that worked before suddenly stopped working after a patch. But I really want to think inside "the new box". That's the reason I ask how to best do things in Linux. I realize that Linux is not Windows but there are lots of possible configurations for Linux and I'm trying to find the one that is best for me. I.e. should I install Kubuntu LTS or Debian and then try to use backports to update applications and not upgrade for a longer time or should I try to keep the system clean and use the upgrades to be up-to-date. And stuff like that...

Tobias

Comment

If you don't really want to be upgrading the Dist too often...Install and use Dapper...It's got long term support so will just be subject to software upgrade as appose to expiring as a Distro...the other Distro Edgy is only supported for 18months....then will go to Feisty and so and so forth..

The idea about going to Gentoo may not work for you though...It's really an OS for experimenters and hard-core Linux guys/gals...that want control over EVERYTHING very good and VERY powerful OS as long as you can put the time in....

But hey...with Linux the best thing is to ask for advice. listen to it...but in the end Try out new things. Break your OS so that you can feel good when you fix it..and if you do break it and fix it...post what you did and let others know....

Comment

Working...
          X