This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using windows on linux

Ok, i have vmware installed but i don't really have a clue on how to use it.

can anyone help?

i have a xp partition and a Kubuntu partition. I want to boot the xp partition i have in vmware in linux....

Re: using windows on linux

Do you have vmware server? you will need that (and not the vmware-player you can get in the (K)Ubuntu repositories. It only plays prebuilt images you can find on vmware's site.

If you install vmware server you can install different Os's and I think you can boot an exisiting windows/linux install with it, but it is a little harder to install

Here is a great how-to
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=vmware-server

Edited to fix wrong link

Comment

thanks, do i have to uninstall vmplayer before installing the server?

Comment

I don't think so, but it wouldn't hurt to. Server is, once installed much nicer anyway and you won't want to use player anymore

Just a note:
        if there ever is a kernel update, you will have to re run the installer, but it doesn't take long

Comment

oh and i don' t think the tutorial is for partitions that r already made...

plus i can't seem to launch the server, does it have a GUI

Comment

yes it does, it will show up in Sysytem once the menu eventually updates itself, you can just enter 'vmware' in the Run dialog and it will open the gui.

You just click on 'Create a New Virtual Machine, follow the setup wizard, and you will eventually get to where you can specify to use an existing partition

Comment

im guessing it didn't install right or the rpm didn't convert to a deb right cause when i run that command it gives a message saying that i couldn't run that command...

edit,

i run vmware in shell and get this:

exec: 180: /usr/lib/vmware-player/lib/wrapper-gtk24.sh: not found

Comment

Well I managed to post the wrong How-To link
                http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=vmware-server
                This is the correct link I was looking for. It has all the correct steps needed, as well as some tips.

Just uninstall whatever you installed earlier, and follow those directions, ignoring any of the sections that are for Breezy Badger users.

Comment

Working...
                X