This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to open URLs with Firefox, not Konqueror

I cannot find out how to click on a URL, in an email (Thunderbird) for instance, and get it to open with Firefox instead of Konqueror. How?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: How to open URLs with Firefox, not Konqueror

http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....family_affairs

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

It worked, thank you!

Still, that's rather complicated for a system that's supposed to be easy to use.

And why does Kubuntu hide the KDE Control Center, replacing it with the Info Center? It doesn't do the same things, that I can see.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

GOTO K>>System Settings>>KDE Components>>Default Apps

Here you can select your preferences.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Ok, 2 things here...

1. Kubuntu doesn't really hide the KControl Center, in the sense that almost everything that you need (almost) is in System Settings. KInfoCenter is not a Control Center replacement. It's an information center app, as the name suggest. And it's present in all KDE distributions.

2. As joneall has mentioned, System Settings has a way to set the default browser from Konqueror to something else. And this usually works perfectly, except for one situation. As this is a KDE setting, it's honored/followed only be KDE apps. Meaning if you set KDE to use Firefox as the default, all KDE apps will use Firefox. However, Thunderbird is not a KDE app, meaning it will not follow KDE's rules. This is why you need extra steps to make Thunderbird use Firefox. Same goes for other non-KDE apps like GAIM. In this case, this command will be particularly useful:

Code:
          sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
          This will list the installed browsers on your system and will let you choose which to use as the default. The changes you make here will affect all apps.

Hope that clears up things a bit.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Yes, that makes things clear. Thanks you.

Comment

That was fascinating. It is very useful reading other people's questions to learn what I haven't even learned to ask yet.

When I did that, it listed the 4 browsers I have and Galeon had a *+ next to its listing. When I selected firefox to be my default, firefox got the * but Galeon still has a +. What does that indicate?

-----Paul----

Comment

Oh, and how do you know what to call what you want to config? I would not have guessed x-www-browser. What do I use for configing the instant messenger? Where is the list of standard functions that can be configged?

-----Paul------

Comment

I tried this and when I change to Firefox as my default browser nothing happens when I click on a hyperlink in a email message in Thunderbird. When I change back to Konqueror as default it opens up when I click on a hyperlink in a email message. What gives can someone help me out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pwright2
                    When I did that, it listed the 4 browsers I have and Galeon had a *+ next to its listing. When I selected firefox to be my default, firefox got the * but Galeon still has a +. What does that indicate?
                    the '+' means that alternative has the highest priority (that alternative is selected in automatic mode)...more information 'man update-alternatives'

Originally posted by pwright2
                    Oh, and how do you know what to call what you want to config? I would not have guessed x-www-browser. What do I use for configing the instant messenger? Where is the list of standard functions that can be configged?
                    You can get an idea by checking the symlinks in /etc/alternatives, there also might be a list floating around somewhere, though I haven't run across one

Comment

Working...
                    X