X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: adept problem

> > > - from a console (not: Adept, Synaptic or the like):

Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove vmware-player && apt-get update && apt-get install vmware-player
    (My reasoning: due to what I tend to call "strange packaging", installing vmware applications by means of a graphical interface is - at least to me - a known source of trouble.)

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Please forgive my ingnorance. I did install using the GUI. I tried the first piece of code, it gave me this:
      dpkg - warning: while removing vmware-player, directory `/etc/vmware' not empty so not removed.
      So I tried to put everything in it in the trash, but it says Access Denied. I assume in my limited knowledge of Linux it is because I need to be logged on as root, but I (please don't laugh too hard) don't know how too.

Comment

Originally posted by EMoShunz
        I did install using the GUI.
        ... which today may count for being the default approach, working in almost every case - except VMware, where (if I remember properly) you have to nod a licence agreement through while installing the package(s) >

directory `/etc/vmware' not empty so not removed
        Code:
        sudo rm -dr /etc/vmware
        Remark: at least from my point of view, "lack of knowledge" (as in your case) is not the same as ignorance in terms of "lack of interest" - while the latter one sucks, the former one gets me hooked, so to speak

Birdy

Comment

I have been able to do most from the GUI (except what I do with help from kind folks like yourself). I am a MS convert, so I really appreciate the help. My opinion, 5 years from now Mac OS will switch to a KDE Linux base, and there will be a mass switch to Linux.
          Anyway, got throught the first command, sort of, it said not installed, so nothing to remove:
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          Package vmware-player is not installed, so not removed
          The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
          libpopt-dev krec libattr1-dev kdelibs4-dev libaspell-dev libtunepimp-bin
          acroread-escript libtasn1-3-dev libaudiofile-dev libaudio-dev
          libgpg-error-dev mplayer-skins comerr-dev libpcre3-dev libopencdk8-dev
          libgcrypt11-dev liblualib50-dev libxmu-headers kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data
          mesa-common-dev libkrb5-dev qt3-dev-tools libsasl2-dev libavahi-client-dev
          libogg-dev libjasper-1.701-dev mpeglib dvdauthor libpcrecpp0 liblua50-dev
          lua50 libavahi-qt3-dev libacl1-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libggi2 libgnutls-dev
          libqt3-mt-dev hspell libgii1 libdbus-1-dev libxslt1-dev libssl-dev libxt-dev
          libxmu-dev libjpeg62-dev vamps libarts1-mpeglib libxml2-dev libtiff4-dev
          libart-2.0-dev libesd0-dev libgii1-target-x kaboodle liblzo-dev
          libqt3-headers libasound2-dev libtiffxx0c2 libgl1-mesa-dev liblcms1-dev
          libkadm55 libxml2-utils libartsc0-dev libopenexr-dev libmng-dev
          libavahi-common-dev kdesdk-scripts libcupsys2-dev libvorbis-dev gettext-kde
          libarts1-xine libidn11-dev libbz2-dev libarts1-dev
          Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

The second command gets me this, which is odd:
          E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
          E: Unable to lock the list directory

Comment

oh...btw, I ran the apt-get autoremove suggested in my return, I missed it the first time. Then ran the seccond command sudo apt-get install vmware-player. It ran the VMplayer install no problem. Should I now go through the ubuntu how to on installeing the VMware server http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209?

Comment

It ran the VMplayer install no problem.
              Sounds good however, prior to any further experiment (e.g. with VMware's "server") you may download an image from this site and feed it to your "player" in order to test the latter and get (more) familiar with the whole stuff ...

Birdy

Add. 1: apt-get autoremove is meant to remove orphaned packages from your system, which is never a bad move (unless you want to keep your garbage ...).

Add. 2: from my point of view, there is nothing wrong in "sticking to the graphical interface" - as long as you keep in mind that the real work is done beyond this surface ... (admittedly, I am in the process of providing graphical interfaces to the Bash shell scripts I have hacked down to ease things up).

Comment

Thanks again. It's guys like you that make switching to Linux even possible.

I tried that link, no image of an XP setup which (unfortunately) what I need to be able to run 1 program I have to have. I did however find a link chain that eventually led me to ReactOS, and they have a VMware d/l. I will try it tonight and post my results.

For others reading this, here is the link:
                http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/r...e.zip?download

Comment

It's guys like you that make switching to Linux even possible.
                  Thanks a lot - I really do appreciate that (despite my second nick name )

[quote=EMoShunz]
                  I tried that ]

You are so cute ... a pre-build image of any Windoze system would be as illegal as can be.

However, operating a full-flegded virtual machine to run one lousy application seems like an overkill of sorts to me ... depending on the specific program, WINE may prove sufficient (and by far more "in proportion").

Birdy (aka littleDrHouse)

Comment

Ignorance again...lol. Guess I was hoping for a VMware image of XP that I could enter my own serial into. (I always run legit software, hence one main reason for the switch to Linux, I bought MS Office 2003...my pocket still hurts.)
                    I have tried WINE before and got nowhere, not even error messages to search forums for (other than "audio driver not supported"). Things install sometimes, but just won't even run. Bit annoying, but great in theory if it works!
                    The software I have to run is to put my Nintendo DS games into a backup format (and again, only for the games I own, I don't do "backups" I do backups). If you are willing, I will try it in WINE tonight, and start a thread with my issues, perhaps you could help? Starting to feel like I need to pay for support...almost...lol.
                    Here is the software I need in case you feel bored enough to check it out...
                    http://eng.supercard.cn/download/setupmicrosdV258en.rar

Nice web site btw, oh, and I love House, we watch it every Tuesday!

Comment

Guess I was hoping for a VMware image of XP that I could enter my own serial into.
                      ... which would be a clever move - thus a shere contradiction to all we have seen popping out of Redmond (except for their abilitly to turn crap into gold ...) :P

I have tried WINE before and got nowhere [...] The software I have to run is to put my Nintendo DS games into a backup format
                      At least from my experience, if the app is not mentioned in WINE's according database you could as well save the effort (read: your time and nerves). - I just wanted to ensure that you are aware of possible and maybe simpler alternatives (provided there are any ...).

Starting to feel like I need to pay for support...almost...lol.
                      Gotcha - but the pick of the bunch is that I have been hunting for a job in the field of computer science for years and those HR folks keep telling me that I am not qualified for software support or the like (no, I am not joking, not this time).

Addenum: in a reflex movement of sorts, I fed "supercard" to http://www.google.com/linux, and (surprise, surprise ...) it seems as if you were not the only one trying to escape Windoze without forsaking Nintendo (which, from my point of view, qualifies for inconsistent behaviour: why should one attempt to skip one game console while keeping the other ... but I am making degressions).

Comment

OK, on a whim, I decided to try the SuperCard program with WINE. Not an issue at all, it runs seemless, how crazy is that. Only issue is I can't figure out how to launch it, I launched from install last time, and can't fine the link to do it from the K-Menu.
                        Anyway, not that i need it anymore, but for the sake of curiosity, I want to get this working. VMware Player will not start. I ran the sudo dpkg --configure vmware-player and it says already configured. any thoughts? My last resort is to pull a MS and reboot, but I doubt it will work...pessimism...

Comment

OK, on a whim, I decided to try the SuperCard program with WINE. [snipped] Only issue is I can't figure out how to launch it
                          It is a miracle, not a tv show - ergo: no re-run o.k., for serious, although I am not quite sure (I have quit using WINE years ago, for VMware Workstation meets all my needs to this respect): in your home directory, you are supposed to find a folder alike '/.wine/drive_c/ - which resembles the Windoze structures on purpose and contains what you have installed ... therefore, to get things going, in a console you have to enter the magic keyword (aka wine) as well as the full path and name to / of the binary in question, assumedly something similar to

Code:
                          wine '~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Supercard/V242.exe'
                          - and do not forget about the inverted commas, because otherwise the shell will interpret spaces as "end of command" and not as part of the path name (thereby ending your little experiment even sooner than you would have expected anyway ...).

I want to get this working. VMware Player will not start.
                          And the winner is: [Alt][F2] vmplayer; second best: have a closer look at your K menu, wherein an according entry should be lurking ... and if all else fails, some folks tend to have a read through VMware's manual provided for this there application :P

My last resort is to pull a MS and reboot, but I doubt it will work...pessimism...
                          What for? A fit of masochism? Or what?

Birdy

Comment

"It is a miracle, not a tv show - ergo: no re-run" - Have to explain why I laughed at work for that one, thanks

I will try all that tonight, Thanks again!

I dreamed about KDE on windows last night, wow I am a geek!
                            http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?p...4+Windows+Port

Comment

I dreamed about KDE on windows last night, wow I am a geek!
                              http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?p...4+Windows+Port
                              Challenge the Microsofties on their own turf - that is what I call impudent ... maybe I should dust of my Windoze C++ IDE and join the gang ... thanks for the hint 8)

Birdy

Comment

OK, tried a few things. First, did the alt f2 thing, that did nothing, no errors or anything.
                                Next I ran VMware Player from the K Menu, I got the bouncing logo, little hourglass in the task bar, then they disappeared and nothing happened.
                                Finally, I read the manual, and the only help there was to run sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
                                That returned this...
                                Unable to find the database file (/etc/vmware/locations)

Execution aborted.

Any thoughts?

Also, I found the wine dir. You'll be happy to know I figured out how to create a run icon shortcut on the desktop all by myself...now i get a cookie
                                I get a "Read ini file error" every time I start it. I checked the ini and there are odd characters, almost like it's an unsupported font...here it is if it means anything to you, all the ? are unrecognized characters...

TransmisionError=Transmision error: CRC Bad!\n
                                OpenFileError=Open File Error
                                PatchSaveError=Can't Save Patch
                                PatchSaveOk=Save Patch ok
                                FileAdded=File Already In The List
                                YesStr=Yes
                                NoStr=No
                                intstrfromat=Used Game Size %dMb\nUsed Save Size %dKb\nUsed Data size %dMb
                                WaitStr=Wait...
                                LoadRom=Load Rom ,Please Wait
                                IOdelaystr=I/O Delay(
                                EreaseStr=Erease\k
                                WriteStr=Write\k
                                CompleteStr=Complete
                                UserStop=User Stop
                                ErrorStr=Error
                                connentOk=Cable connect
                                Noconnent=Cable no connect
                                waitBegin=Wait Begin ...
                                writingStr=Writing\k
                                WriteCheatDataStr=Writing Cheat Data
                                EreasingStr=Ereasing...\k
                                Card1Caption=Card
                                Test1Caption=Card Size
                                Erease1Caption=Erease
                                Write1Caption=Write
                                Auto1Caption=Auto
                                About1Caption=About
                                add1Caption=Add Game
                                del1Caption=Del Game
                                DelAllGameCaption=Del All Game
                                Properties1Caption=Properties
                                TabSheet1Caption=Game List
                                TabSheet2Caption=Options
                                GameListT1=No.
                                GameListT2=File Name
                                GameListT3=Compress
                                GameListT4=Save
                                GameListT5=Cheat
                                GameListT6=Restart
                                GameListT7=Patch
                                AddButtonCaption=Add
                                DelButtonCaption=Del
                                DelAllButtonCaption=Del All
                                EreasebuttonCaption=Erease
                                WriteButtonCaption=Out
                                StopButtonCaption=Stop
                                LessOne=Can't less than one
                                CardTypeErrStr=Know dot't Card Type
                                failstr=Fail
                                DescriptionStr=Description:
                                FunctionStr=Function:
                                DataStr=Data:
                                SaveSmallStr=Save Capacity smallness ,Please select again
                                CardSmallStr=Card Capacity smallness ,Please select again
                                PSaveSmallStr=Card Capacity smallness ,Can't Compress \nPlease select again
                                PropertiesFormCaption=Properties
                                Label1Caption=Game Name:
                                PEnableSaveCaption=Enable Save
                                PEnableSavePatchCaption=Enable saver Patch
                                PEnableResartCaption=Enble Restart
                                PEnableCheatCaption=Enbable Cheat
                                PCheatPageCaption=Cheat List
                                Label2Caption=Cheat File:
                                addbuttonCaption=Add
                                delbuttonCaption=Del
                                editbuttonCaption=Edit
                                OkbuttonCaption=OK
                                AboutLabel2Caption=WebSite:
                                AboutLabel3Caption=E-Mail:
                                CompressSelectCaption=Compress Select
                                compressCaption=Compress
                                normalCaption=Normal
                                CancelbuttonCaption=Cancel
                                DescriptionError=Description Can't Empty
                                FunctionError=Function Can't Empty
                                DataError=Data Can't Empty
                                DataFormaterror=Data format Error
                                CheatEditDHint=Supported Formats:\nXXXXXXXX:YY\nXXXXXXXX:YYYY\nXXXXXXXX:YYY YYYYY
                                CheatEditCaption=Cheat Edit
                                HardSetCaption=Out Path
                                ParallelPortSetCaption=Path
                                LanguageStrCaption=Language
                                GameDefaultSetCaption=Game Default Set
                                DefaultSavePatchCaption=Saver Patch
                                DefaultResartCaption=Enable Restart
                                cheatcheckCaption=Enable Add Cheat
                                DefaultMenuCaption=Enable Game Menu
                                importsaverfile=Import Saver Form File:
                                Completestr=Complete
                                GreaterThan=Can't Greater Than 255
                                EnableCaption=Enable Compress
                                cheatcompstr=Cheat Compatibility:
                                Lowstr=Low
                                Middlestr=Middle
                                Highstr=High
                                waitcopmstr=Please Wait Compress the File:\k
                                ipsstr=Use External IPS File
                                openfile=Opening the file:
                                issaver=Enable Real Time Save
                                rompatchstr=Find more patch,Please choose the ROM number.
                                moresavestr=Enble more Saver
                                moreisavestr=Enble more Real Time Saver
                                addtxtstr=Enable add text file
                                coerciveresartstr=Add coercive Resart
                                saverpatch=Saver patch
                                rompospatch=ROM Position Patch
                                trimrom=Enable Trim ROM
                                runfaststr=Faster Play Game
                                iquegamestr=iQue Game
                                gbaunionstr=Enable GBA Union
                                listhint=Double click ,Enter ROM options.
                                gbaaccessstr=Enable patch Cartridge access
                                rumbleenablestr=Enable Rumble
                                rumbleIntensitystr=Rumble Intensity:
                                Compatibilitystr=Compatibility:
                                endmastr=Enable DMA Mode
                                [Chinese(S)]
                                TransmisionError=RC??n
                                OpenFileError=?
                                PatchSaveError=??
                                PatchSaveOk=
                                FileAdded=
                                YesStr=?
                                NoStr=?
                                intstrfromat=??%dMb\n?%dKb\n?%dMb
                                WaitStr=?...
                                LoadRom=??ROM,??
                                IOdelaystr=I/O??(
                                EreaseStr=s
                                WriteStr=??
                                CompleteStr=??
                                UserStop=
                                ErrorStr=??
                                connentOk=?l?
                                Noconnent=?l?
                                waitBegin=??...
                                writingStr=?
                                WriteCheatDataStr=??
                                EreasingStr=??s
                                Card1Caption=
                                Test1Caption=?
                                Erease1Caption=s
                                Write1Caption=??
                                Auto1Caption=?
                                About1Caption=??
                                About2Caption=??
                                add1Caption=
                                del1Caption=
                                DelAllGameCaption=??
                                Properties1Caption=??
                                TabSheet1Caption=?
                                TabSheet2Caption=??
                                GameListT1=??
                                GameListT2=??
                                GameListT3=??
                                GameListT4=?
                                GameListT5=??
                                GameListT6=?
                                GameListT7=
                                AddButtonCaption=??
                                DelButtonCaption=?
                                WriteButtonCaption=??
                                LessOne=??
                                failstr=??
                                CardTypeErrStr=?

DescriptionStr=?
                                FunctionStr=??
                                DataStr=??
                                PSaveSmallStr=??,\n??
                                SaveSmallStr=???,??
                                CardSmallStr= ??,??
                                PropertiesFormCaption=??
                                Label1Caption=:
                                PEnableSaveCaption=
                                PEnableSavePatchCaption=
                                PEnableResartCaption=
                                PEnableCheatCaption=?
                                PCheatPageCaption=?
                                Label2Caption=
                                addbuttonCaption=??
                                delbuttonCaption=?
                                editbuttonCaption=?
                                OkbuttonCaption=?
                                AboutLabel2Caption=??:
                                AboutLabel3Caption=??
                                CompressSelectCaption=?
                                compressCaption=??
                                normalCaption=??
                                CancelbuttonCaption=??
                                DescriptionError=?
                                FunctionError=??
                                DataError=??
                                DataFormaterror=??
                                CheatEditDHint=:\nXXXXXXXX:YY\nXXXXXXXX:YYYY\nXXXXXXXX:YYYYYYYY
                                CheatEditCaption=
                                HardSetCaption=??
                                ParallelPortSetCaption=·
                                OtherStrCaption=??
                                LanguageStrCaption=??
                                GameDefaultSetCaption=?
                                DefaultSavePatchCaption=?
                                DefaultResartCaption=
                                cheatcheckCaption=
                                DefaultMenuCaption=
                                importsaverfile=??
                                Completestr=??
                                GreaterThan=55
                                EnableCaption=?
                                cheatcompstr=??
                                Lowstr=?
                                Middlestr=?
                                Highstr=?
                                waitcopmstr=??
                                ipsstr=IPS?
                                openfile=
                                issaver=?
                                rompatchstr=??,??ROM??
                                moresavestr=?
                                moreisavestr=??
                                addtxtstr=
                                coerciveresartstr=?
                                saverpatch=
                                rompospatch=ROM??
                                trimrom=?OM
                                runfaststr=?
                                iquegamestr=iQue??
                                gbaunionstr=GBAj
                                listhint=,?ROM??.
                                gbaaccessstr=??GBA?
                                rumbleenablestr=
                                rumbleIntensitystr=
                                Compatibilitystr=
                                endmastr=??DMA??
                                [Chinese(T)]
                                TransmisionError=??~GCRC~\n
                                OpenFileError=}?~
                                PatchSaveError=?s??B
                                PatchSaveOk=s??B
                                FileAdded=?sbC?
                                YesStr=O
                                NoStr=_
                                intstrfromat=jp%dMb\nsjp%dKb\n?jp%dMb
                                WaitStr=?..
                                LoadRom=?ROM,??
                                IOdelaystr=I/O?
                                EreaseStr=?
                                WriteStr=Ng
                                CompleteStr=
                                UserStop=
                                ErrorStr=~
                                connentOk=ws
                                Noconnent=s
                                waitBegin=?}l...
                                writingStr=bNg
                                WriteCheatDataStr=g
                                EreasingStr=b?
                                Card1Caption=da
                                Test1Caption=daeq
                                Erease1Caption=?
                                Write1Caption=Ng
                                Auto1Caption=??
                                About1Caption=?_
                                About2Caption=?_
                                add1Caption=[J?
                                del1Caption=R?
                                DelAllGameCaption=R??
                                Properties1Caption=??
                                TabSheet1Caption=?C?
                                TabSheet2Caption=]m
                                GameListT1=?
                                GameListT2=?W
                                GameListT3=#?
                                GameListT4=i?
                                GameListT5=?
                                GameListT6=_?
                                GameListT7=?B
                                AddButtonCaption=W[
                                DelButtonCaption=R
                                WriteButtonCaption=?
                                LessOne=?_@?
                                failstr=?
                                CardTypeErrStr=da?~

DescriptionStr=\?
                                FunctionStr=]m
                                DataStr=??
                                PSaveSmallStr=daeqp,??\n?s?
                                SaveSmallStr=s?eqp,?s?
                                CardSmallStr= daeqp,?s?
                                PropertiesFormCaption=??
                                Label1Caption=?W:
                                PEnableSaveCaption=\s?
                                PEnableSavePatchCaption=\s??B
                                PEnableResartCaption=\_?
                                PEnableCheatCaption=\?
                                PCheatPageCaption=?C?
                                Label2Caption=??
                                addbuttonCaption=W[
                                delbuttonCaption=R
                                editbuttonCaption=s?
                                OkbuttonCaption=Tw
                                AboutLabel2Caption=?:
                                AboutLabel3Caption=ql:
                                CompressSelectCaption=#??
                                compressCaption=#?
                                normalCaption=q
                                CancelbuttonCaption=
                                DescriptionError=\
                                FunctionError=]m??
                                DataError=?
                                DataFormaterror=~
                                CheatEditDHint=??:\nXXXXXXXX:YY\nXXXXXXXX:YYYY\nXX XXXXXX:YYYYYYYY
                                CheatEditCaption=?s?
                                HardSetCaption=??
                                ParallelPortSetCaption=?
                                OtherStrCaption=y
                                LanguageStrCaption=y
                                GameDefaultSetCaption=?{]m
                                DefaultSavePatchCaption=s??B
                                DefaultResartCaption=\_?
                                cheatcheckCaption=\[J?
                                DefaultMenuCaption=\[J??
                                importsaverfile=q??Ji?
                                Completestr=