This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept problem

Ok, i tried to install vmware from adept multiverse, and the installation stalled, so i terminated the installation.

now when ever i open adept it gives me this exact message:

You will not be able to change your system settings in any way (install, remove or upgrade software), because another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one.
    ------------------------------
    how do i close whatever other application because now i can't get any updates or add any other programs.

Re: adept problem

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9867.0

Comment

thanks but now i get this:

There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages.

suggestions?

Comment

Code:
        sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update
        ... and then: start again ...

HTH
        Birdy

Comment

meh, it still gives me the same message. T_T

Comment

I have just checked the other forum and it worked for me...but, I had to remove some broken packages first.
            I messed up some perl installs and libxml-sax-perl (or something) broke. So running the sudo dpkg --configure -a showed me which packages gave issues. Then I ran sudo apt-get remove lib-xml-sax-perl and then the clean command then the configure one again and now all is well.

I am very glad. Kubuntu Edgy has been running reeeeeally nicely (after some WPA2 issues and so on) and I weren't looking forward to reinstall -- o wait, this isn't windows.

Comment

nice, but when i run : sudo dpkg --configure -a it doesn't show me the broken package, or anything for that matter, lol.

Comment

Try

Code:
                sudo apt-get -f install
                Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get -f install
                  ... and if this fails as well, please let us know which exact version of Kubuntu you are using and what your list of repositories contains at present (read: post a copy of /etc/apt/sources.list - which supposedly you have edited in one way or the other ...).

Birdy

Comment

ok that did the trick, thanks to all of you guys for your help. Now if i can just get wine working properly.

Comment

I have run through all these suggestions. This is the error I keep getting:

invoke-rc.d: initscript vmware-player, action "start" failed.
                      dpkg: error processing vmware-player (--configure):
                      subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
                      Errors were encountered while processing:
                      vmware-player
                      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Also, when I try to reinstall vwmware-player I get an error saying "There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages."

I have also tried completely uninstalling VMware server, but it doesn't uninstall.
                      I am quite new to all this, any help would be appreciated.

Kubuntu 6.10. AMD 3000+. DFI Lanparty NForce4. 80GB SATA HDD. nVidia 6200. Pioneer 109D Burner. HP LiteScribe Burner.

Comment

In addition, you may try sudo dpkg --configure --pending as well as, in case of persistent blockade, sudo dpkg --audit ...

HTH
                        Birdy

Comment

Thank you.
                          Pending returns this:
                          vmware-player

Audit returns this:
                          The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
                          configuring them the first time. The configuration should be retried using
                          dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
                          vmware-player Free virtual machine player from VMware

Comment

O.k. then: sudo dpkg --configure vmware-player (?)

Comment

Also returns:
                              vmware-player

Comment

Working...
                              X