This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The modem is busy"

I recently installed Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) on a PC that has a 'real hardware modem' (SupraExpress 56i sp) installed in an ISA slot on the system board. The HD has Linux (Lycoris Desktop/LX) installed on one partition & Kubuntu 6.10 on another partition.

The problem I'm having is the Kubuntu kppp displays the message "The modem is busy" just after it tries to initialize the modem and then does nothing else. Since the modem works perfectly when used by the Lycoris kppp on the other HD partition and I've configured the kppp & resolv.conf on both systems identically, I'm a bit confused why the modem isn't working with the Kubuntu software.

I've tried to configure the dialup & modem settings in various ways to get it to work, but it won't cooperate.

If anyone has any ideas why it isn't working &/or anything else I can do to make it work, please let me know your thoughts.

Edgy is making me edgy (

Re: "The modem is busy"

Know the feeling. Just did a new install of 6.06, and the connection makes, but doesn't authenticate with Earthlink (which has no support for Linux)

Ubuntu is worse - just FYI

Seems to be a problem with Kppp and possibly funtioning through wvdial. It's not the resolv.conf issue as I have seen in other distro's.

I'm searching for a solution to this problem too. I am using a internal modem this time however the modem has support for linux, and I can see the modem is funtioning fine.

Keep watching the boards. I'll figure it out one of these days.

Comment

Working...
    X