X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox and other questions

Greetings,

I have been working on Kubuntu for about 4 hrs. I have been reading post after post about how to install firefox. I first d/l the file form www.getfirefox.com and I really do not know what to do with that other than unzip it. I think that I click on something that said firefox and it opened. However, when I looked for it in my K folder on the menu bar I could not find it under internet. I then tried and run it under the root command and tried a variety of commands and nothing.

Next I was trying to find a program that could load my AIM freinds and well I did not find anything.

If I can get firefox going and all the plugins it needs I should be good to go.

I understand the fact that many people ask questions that are like mine or are similar in nature. Any help would be a great.

Cheers,
    Mac

Re: Firefox and other questions

go to the k button, system folder - launch 'konsole'

type 'sudo su' [enter]
    type your login password [enter]
    type 'apt-get update' [enter]
    type 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox [enter]

as for the aim friends theres a multi protocol chat program called kopete in the inernet folder x

Comment

Greetings,

Ok, I did as instructed. Here is was I get:
      root@mac-laptop:/home/mac# apt-get install mozilla-firefox
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Package mozilla-firefox is not available, but is referred to by another package.
      This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
      is only available from another source
      However the following packages replace it:
      firefox
      E: Package mozilla-firefox has no installation candidate
      root@mac-laptop:/home/mac#

Now what do I do from here if I want to have an icon in my K menu.
      Thanks

Cheers,
      Mac

Comment

If you use the Adept package manager (or Add/Remove programs in the main menu), you can easily install firefox from there, built specifically for Kubuntu. No need to download things from all over the Internet for the most part. Just search for 'firefox' and you will find it much easier than the command line

Once you have gotten the hang of installing software using Adept, there is even more software available after enabling some extra repositories

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu
        then look here
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
        which will help with other internet/multimedia issues

As for Aim there are a number of IM programs available, Kubuntu comes with the multi-protocol IM program called Kopete already installed, and that program supports just about all the IM programs out there including AIM.

Comment

Greetings,

Thank you for that. I think I have the hang of it.

My next question: Kaffine opened a DVD and then skewed to the left. It said that I did not have all the codecs. Since I was here I thought that I would ask.

Cheers,
          Mac

Comment

See the second link I posted above
            There are some Kubuntu-specific things you can use there, so you don't have to install all the things that are for Ubuntu, You will need specifically libdvdcss and probably w32codecs

Yes I sometimes have ESP

Comment

Greetings,

Thank you for your help. Although some of this stuff looks latin to me. I think I might get it to work.

Cheers,
              Mac

Comment

Working...
              X