This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal help thread

i bein having so many problems and questions with linux, so i decided to create a thread for my problems so i dont flood the forum.

ok so i tried to run the adept program like always and it says that i have some other program open and i can't do any changes to system blah blah blah, read only mode.

there r not adept managers open and no visible signs of what program is interfering with adept. i have tried restarting but no luck, seems like a restart on linux is just basically pausin ur computer, doesnt reset anything.

Re: Personal help thread

At some time in the past did you try installing things through the command line, either through apt-get or aptitude? Basically, the problem is that adept cannot have control of a file that it needs. In the command line, try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    to see if that will finish any stalled or incomplete package installations

Comment

Press CTRL+Escape.

This should bring up a list of runing processes. In the top of the window there is a search bar, type apt on it. If any process show kill it. Now type dpkg, kill everything with dpkg in it's name.

Try to open Adept.

NOTE: You can find that some of this processes are run as root. Then you will not be able to kill it from your normal account. You will need a somewhat more complicated procedure to be able to kill those process.

Hit ALT+F2. A prompt will appear just type:

kdesu ksysguard

You will be asked for a password and afterwards a program similar to the above one will appear. It'll show two tabs, the first one are some system performance graphics, the second one is just the same as the CTRL+ESC screen, but here you will be able to kill root programs.

There is also a quicker command line aproach, if you prefer.

Code:
      $ps -A u | grep apt
      This will give you a list of the runing processes that have apt in their name. You can kill them with:

Code:
      $sudo kill pid-number
      You can check the pidnumber from the above command. It is the first number on the list.

If some program refuses to die, you can make a "forced" kill with.

Code:
      $sudo kill -9 pid-number
      Repeat it for dpkg:

Code:
      $ps -A u | grep dpkg
      Hope that this helps.

Javier.

Comment

Try machooo2 idea first. Only try mine if this doesn't work,

Javier.

Comment

ok thx i finally got it working.

now im trying to install sun java so i can install limewire, on some other thread some1 said its not a good idea to install java with adecpt, y? i searched java in adept and found that theres a package there.

also can anyone tell me how i can run rpm files (limewire install in my case) un kubuntu?

Thanks so much guys for all the generous help,
          love u guys in the straightest way possible.

Comment

o noes, another problem, when i try to instlal programs it give me this error now, "could not commit changes"

any idea on how to fix this?

Comment

Hi,

You should not try to install java with adept because you must accept/decline Sun's EULA, and this is not possible in adept. Install it with apt-get or aptitude instead. If you already tried this, then perhaps another
              Code:
              sudo dpkg --configure -a
              is in order.

To install .rpm packages, you will need alien (see http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/alien.1.html):
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install alien
              To install Limewire:
              Code:
              sudo alien -i LimeWireLinux.rpm
              Hope this helps,
              -matt

Comment

ok i got that part but i i had somehow installed java and now its trying to update in adept, i cant update bc i have ti clik the agreement.

like i said, i cant uninstall or install anything with adept.
                when i try to it says: "could not commit changes-Adept Manager" --- There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages.

help plz, this problem has got me stuck.

*edit: nvm got it workign aafter figuring out how to clik ok on agreement on sun-java

Comment

Working...
                X