This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows - kubuntu link

does anyone know how to access windows files from kubuntu. i have both installed but want to use kubuntu predominantly. i am held back by my inability to acces existing windows files

Re: windows - kubuntu link

You may conduct searches on "how to mount windows partitions" through this forum and/or by means of Google Linux (http://www.google.com/linux) - there is quite a lot of literature on this topic out there ...

Comment

See help:/kubuntu/desktopguide/partitions-booting.html and follow the instructions under Mounting Windows partitions.

Basically, all your partitions exists as e.g. /dev/hda1, dev/hdb1, /dev/sda2 etc. One of these will be your Windows partition. To access a partition, you will have to "mount" it.

Your Linux partitions are mounted by default. For the rest you'll have to do it manually. Basically you will have to create a "mount point" for each partition, which is simply a directory. You will be able to name it what you want, and will usually place it under the /mnt directory, f.ex. /mnt/windows, as supposed to the confusionable C:, D: etc. you have under Windows.

Mounting can be done temporary (for as long as your logged on) or permanent. You'll probably want to make it permanent. Basically what you do then, after creating the mount point, is to edit a file called /etc/fstab and create a new one-line entry for each partition you want to mount.

Comment

See " How to mount Windows partitions (NTFS) on boot-up, and allow all users to read only" at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_E...s_to_read_only
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I don't know about the other guys. I find the windows partitions show up automatically.

The important thing to realize is that you can only read from the NTFS partitions. (By default, anyhow. Apparently there are things you can load into your system that will allow you to write but they are considered experimental.) So you can read in an Office .doc file and make changes to it but you won't be able to save it to the windows drive. If you save it to a linux partition, you won't be able to read it later when you are in windows. So, if you are switching back and forth between linux and windows environments, it is best to have a fat 32 partition since they both can read and write from that.

-----Paul-----

Comment

pwright2

In Dapper the Windows partitions showed by default. In Edgy the Windows partitions don't show unless you make them...
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
            X