This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

icons differing by place?

I note that icons for programs can be different in different places. For instance, in the menu, on the desktop, on the taskbar. What controls that? Can it be controlled?

-----Paul-----

Re: icons differing by place?

Originally posted by pwright2
    I note that icons for programs can be different in different places. For instance, in the menu, on the desktop, on the taskbar. What controls that?
    Well, not sure if this is what you mean, but some/many icons differ by size (for the same application, icons in different sizes look different, with larger sizes usually 'prettier' with more detail)

Can it be controlled?
    Well you can edit the icons in /usr/share/icons (there are subfolders for each icon size)

Also changing the size of icons on desktop, changing the size of the kicker panel etc. should change the icon size as well (and changing the icons accordingly)

On a related topic, you can define the icon for a program by launching it with '<programname> --icon <iconname>'

Comment

Re: icons differing by place?

Hmmm. I don't have the linux terminology down yet but will try to describe what I am seeing.

I have a Firefox icon on the panel just to the right of Konqueror which is just to the right of K Menu. Clicking it once launches Firefox. Hovering over it opens a balloon describing it. Both the panel and the balloon (as well as the K Menu entry) have the typical orange fox over blue world icon. But when Firefox is running, the icon on the taskbar{?} is a blue world.

I have a program called MailWasher. No icon shows beside its entry in K Menu. On the desktop, its icon is a blank page with a folded corner. But when it is running it shows its standard icon of a grey disk.

Your info opens lots of possibilities to try. Thanks. All of you are helping me come up to speed quickly.

-----Paul-----

Comment

Working...
      X