This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all tar.gz disposable?

Is it correct to say that ...tar.gz files are the files that were downloaded to install in my system and that I can safely delete any and all of them? I've got 4-5 on my desktop. Seems like it to me but I have been known to delete things that seemed superfluous in the past, only to regret it and have to call for help to undo my mistakes!
    TIA with holiday best wishes!
    Steve

Re: all tar.gz disposable?

Originally posted by smitty88
    Is it correct to say that ...tar.gz files are the files that were downloaded to install in my system and that I can safely delete any and all of them? I've got 4-5 on my desktop.
    Hello

*.tar.gz files are simply compressed files. It is a compression format like zip and rar. So that a file is a tar.gz doesn't automatically mean that you can delete it. It might be very well important for your system.

But if you downloaded them and have them lying on the desktop (talking about the desktop that shows on your screen, not about "the desktop" in the sense of a desktop computer) then you should be safe. You can delete them if you don't use them any more. Anyway keep the files for a while in the trash bin, so you can get them back if necessary.

But don't just delete tar.gz files somewhere on your computer just because they are called like this.

Comment

Working...
    X