This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility Issues

Hi there, I have been an avid windows user for some time now, but quite frankly I have been getting sick and tired of using it.

I have considered using Linux, I have noticed it has been becoming more and more user friendly lately.

However before I consider downloading and installing Linux on my PC I would like to find out some things relating to compatibility issues.

I am not a computer expert, I am just a gamer. All I really care about is gaming and using the applications I already have.

Will I be able to continue to use Microsoft Office? If not, is there an alternative programme simmilar to linux that I can download that is still compatible with *.doc, *.xls, *.pdf and *.ppt files?

As for games, there are alot of games that that put their requirements as Microsoft Windows XP (World of Warcraft and Fable).

Is Linux completely compatible or will I have to change or adapt my application and gaming habits?

Re: Compatibility Issues

If you must use Microsoft Office you can PAY for Crossover Office which will allow you to run MS Office in Linux (works pretty well too). I would recommend however that you use OpenOffice.org, which installs by default with Kubuntu. It allows you to read and write MS Office files. At times there might be a little formatting loss, but nothing major.

For games you will definitely have to use a binary driver for either NVidia or ATI. In order to play Windows games you will have to use an application called Cedega. Cedega plays pretty much all of the Windows games w/o any issues. I just recently seen a demonstration of it, on a Dell laptop, and it blew my mind on how well it works. Cedega is also a pay to use program which sucks, but if you are an avid gamer it comes highly recommended. I don't think it is all that expensive either.

Linux isn't completely compatible yet, so of course you will have to adapt more than change.
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Re: Compatibility Issues

Right the first thing to realise is this is a completely different operating system, that statement may sound obvious but it's worth considering. Many people migrate to Kubuntu from Windows, concerned about growing security problems, and then are highly critical - saying pretty much;

'this is all different, i don't think i like it!'

So with that in mind, you need to approach it with an open mind, and instead of looking at things as problems as they come up, look at them as differences, and learning opportunities.

There are many alternatives to Office, all free (as is the beauty with Linux software), open office comes as standard with Kubuntu. I find it leaner, and better organised than office, a Microsoft zombie will feel a bit alienated, but all the functionality is there, and you can still open your .doc and .xls files (or whatever the extensions are now if they've changed them - it's a long time since i've used ms office).

You could always try open office as it's available for download free for the PC, then you can see if you like it.

As for games, life will be more complicated for you. Some people with newer graphic cards have to do some tinkering to get things working smoothly - i have a nv 5200 and it was pretty much as easy as getting the linux nvidia driver and rebooting the desktop, it depends what hardware you have.

Games wise i hear WOW works on wine, thats actually an emulator, but i hear it works fine and know alot of people use it. ID release alot of linux versions of there executables free, i'm currently playing the DOOM III expansion i missed out on buying earlier, it runs alot better than Doom III ever did on windows. There's also a growing scene of some really impressive Linux games being developed, as ever for free.

As long as you are genuinely ready to embrace a new operating system, learning curve included - i'd first do some research on the games you *cant* live without if your a gamer. Just type in the title + linux in google and if there's any really bad news i'm sure it'll come up.

You could always dual boot, and have a Windows / Linux machine, but i find people who do that normally get lazy and never bother booting into Linux, learning new things, and making the change.

Hope i helped,

x trash x

Comment

Working...
      X