X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some answers please

Not giving up, the situation is:

running kubuntu
    - tried to install flash_player_7_linux but in the middle of install it tells me that I have to run either firefox or opera at least once but I am on konqueror (thus the install fails)
    - I have now downloaded firefox-2.0 but I cannot find the install thingy that I drag drop(paste) to root console

Ok, questions:
    1 what do I need to do to install firefox
    2 can one uninstall firefox later returning to konqueror
    3 is there any other way to see flv. streams on kubuntu
    every day is a gift

Re: need some answers please

I'm can definitely help you with installing firefox-2.0

goto the konsole (k button, system menu)

type sudo su [enter], and type in your login password

type apt-get update [enter]

then type apt-get install mozilla-firefox [enter]

then [y] at the y/n prompt.

x

Comment

thanks I have just put all in the waste bin since I was trying to extract flash player 9 and was being refused so after returning those things to their proper place I will follow you instructions and post back
      every day is a gift

Comment

Well once you've successfully installed firefox i can try and help you with flash 9 if you'd like.

x

Comment

thanks, following your advice I am now writing this on firefox browser with sucess, btw does this mean that I once flash is installed I can return to konqueror because it seems a pity to lose the all in oneness but if firefox is better or konqueror is not needed, I will be happy to follow your advice again

I would like to install flash_player_7_linux if only because when I arrive at post there is always there are halfinstalled windows of flash_player_7_linux which I believe would now go if I could fully install the program, the stumbling block being the line that asks me to link to mozilla or opera

btw curiosity but what is the sudo su thingy which I typed
          every day is a gift

Comment

sudo su (means sudo super user kind of)

it basically means you become root or admin for a temporary time, enabling you to perform changes to the system

firefox is much better than konqueror at the moment, konqueror has a little while to go before its a stable and dependable web browser (though it makes an excellent file browser) and your much more likely to get flash working probably in firefox.

So on to your flash - i actually have flash 9 and no for a fact it works fine with firefox 2 in edgy..

but if you install that over a broken flash 7 install it might cause problems

when you bring up a page with flash content, does it just display empty boxes, or crash - at the moment? it would be useful to know before i give you further advice.

x

Comment

thanks trash, my kubuntu crashed last night taking down the router with it, and also it had lot of half installed stuff opening up on post, so I tried to reinstall kubuntu and now everything is messed up. I woul like to start at the begining again, so on this other computer I have partition magic and would like to know what format kubuntu likes, that is because until now all reformats are not working, does kubuntu have a scandisk app, or should i use my external caddie and scan with that on XP
              every day is a gift

Comment

right..

if you have one disk - and want a kubuntu install using it all, just boot fresh and select erase whole drive from the installation

if you have a working windows partition you want to keep, make sure the available space is just unpartitioned, and you can select for the installer to use whats available

the only reason you should need to get into manually partitioning linux drives is if your adding extra drives to an existing linux system

if the install is having a problem due to the fact the data on the disk is a big mess, just use partition magic to delete any broken partitions and leave them as unpartitioned space

x

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
                  I have partition magic and would like to know what format kubuntu likes
                  When you do a standard install of kubuntu it uses the ext3 filesystem.

Comment

thanks trash and marshallbanana

Ok, I have just found the culprit, the harddrive is dead, having nothing else, I have placed a 6gb harddrive and installed kubuntu on this dell laptop and it is running well.

let me start with simple things,
                    how do I tell how much of the drive is free

my goals are simple
                    uninstall everything I don't need
                    install firefox
                    (remove konquorer if possible)
                    install mp3 plug in
                    install viewer for flv. streams
                    keep text writer

I will upgrade to 20gb harddrive soon
                    when I upgrade I would like to have all the steps I have taken written in a text file, and all the plugin ready on a usb key if possible
                    every day is a gift

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
                      how do I tell how much of the drive is free
                      One easy way is simply open your home folder and then right click (just in empty space) and select properties. At the bottom of the properties window it will tell you how much space in the partition you are in is free.

Also, on installing flash. I find the easiest thing is simply once you have firefox installed just go to a web site that uses flash. Firefox will prompt you to install the required plugin, do this and then you will have fully working flash for all websites. No need to do any work yourself. After all, when did you last use flash other than for viewing websites?

As for removing konqueror, I doubt the practicality of that as it is what you use to browse your files (it just doubles as a web browser) so if you removed it you will need something else for accessing your files. I imagine the majority of kubuntu users probably have both konqueror and firefox installed, for files and the web respectively.

And switch to ogg, you know you want to

Comment

(uninstall everything I don't need)

Don't worry about this one too much, Kubuntu isn't actually very big. If there is some specific software you really hate i can guide you through it - some of the applications are required by the operating system for stable running.

(install firefox)

goto the k button, system menu, launch konsole, type sudo su (enter) - enter your password, type apt-get update (enter), type apt-get install mozilla-firefox (enter) type 'y' at the prompt

(remove konquorer if possible)

it's part of the operating system, much like explorer is part of windows, you need it to browse files, if you DONT want to use konqueror as your web browser, simply dont, use firefox.

(install mp3 plug in)

run amarok from the multimedia menu, import your mp3 collection, try playing one, and follow the instructions to install support.

(install viewer for flv. streams)

not sure what these are??

(keep text writer)

there are two text writers available on kubuntu, kate, and kwrite

Hope this helps

x

Comment

wow, I feel I am onto a winner here with all these replies.

more than half my harddrive is taken up with kubuntu so the idea of of taking stuff off is appealling as long as I can later add it back on when ready.

sorry more questions:
                          when I get a 20gb harddrive, can I transfer this harddrive to an external caddie and then on placing the new harddrive in the laptop, transfer everything from there(avoiding having to reinstall/reset/redownload/reset again) I have partition magic on a xp system if that helps to do it

of my goals, which one should I start with
                          uninstall everything I don't need
                          install firefox
                          install mp3 plug in
                          install viewer for flv. streams(flv. format is that used in videos such as youtube, dailymotion, etc)
                          keep text writer(dumping excel and others)
                          every day is a gift

Comment

Right, as for removing software from your Linux install, i think you'll find it complicated. There's alot of dependencies to worry about - in truth the package provided is quite standard.

I have no idea if partition magic assists in Linux partitions you'll have to investigate that. Linux sets up various small partitions for operating procedures which will be allocated depending on the disk size.

Considering Kubuntu doesn't take long to install anyway. I'd be inclined to make do while you have the 6 GB hard disk and do a fresh install when you get the new disk, and try and make a go of it with that.

x

Comment

OK, I am leaving off uninstalling things for the moment, first of all I am going to install firefox following your previous advice, wish me luck

every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
                              X