This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeze on Bootup

I'm new to Linux/Kubuntu in general, but I was able to get Kubuntu installed and have my system triple boot (Japanese XP Home, English XP Pro, Kubuntu) with GRUB without a problem. At least, I thought it was that way until I tried to load up Kubuntu. Every time it starts, it freezes on the blue Kubuntu logo splash screen, with only 1/4 of the first progress bar completed. It will just sit there forever, without ever actually loading the OS.

The strange thing is that the Live CD worked great. I had no problems and everything was fine. When I first installed it I had this problem, but thought maybe I messed up something with the partitions, so I reinstalled Windows and then Kubuntu from scratch but the same thing still happens. If I try to load up the recovery boot, it goes through a few lines of text and then stops as well.

Basically, the install and Live CD worked fine, but the OS will not run!! I have no idea as to why this is and any help would be appreciated. I am running this on a Sony Vaio S54B with a 1.8GHz Pentium M, 1GB of RAM and an integrated Intel GMA 950 card. Thanks!

Re: Freeze on Bootup

Hi,

Can you tell us what are the lines you can see when booting to recovery, you should get an error...

Cheers

Comment

Hi, thanks for the response. If I start it up in recovery mode the last line of text is this:

[17179579,108000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00P1f.2[B] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 177

From what I can see there is no actual error reported. It just stops at this line and gives a blinking cursor. It will sit here forever. Any idea as to what's going on? Maybe there is some conflict with my hardware? I just find it strange that the Live CD worked but the install doesn't.

Comment

Hi,

So it seems that it's a trouble with acpi, can you edit your grub and add the following keyword to the second line at the end : noacpi

If you don't know how to do, do the following :
        when grub is appearing :
        press "e" on the line your booting usually (normal, not recovery)
        go on the line starting with kernel, press "e"
        add " noacpi" at the end, press enter (two times to come back to menu) and "b" if it's not started yet, check if it's better.

Hope it helps

Comment

Hi, thanks for the help. I tried adding " noacpi" (without the quotes) to the normal and recovery boot options but it is still halting on that line. Are there any other boot commands that might work? Or maybe somehow I can edit this when I install Kubuntu? Thanks again!

Comment

Hi,

There's few more options :
            noapic biosirq nolapic
            Maybe you can try them (even all together)

Hope it helps

Comment

Hi, thanks for the help. I got it to boot up when I added "acpi=off" and "noapci". Is this turning off something in the operating system? Will everything run fine with this? Also, is there a way I can add this permanently to the boot line so I don't have to type it all the time?

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, there's a way to add them permanently. For this, you need to open the file /boot/grub/menu.lst. Run the following command from the "run command" in menu or from a konsole in kde.
                Code:
                kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
                Find the following line :
                # defoptions=quiet splash
                Then add your options at the end to look like this :
                # defoptions=quiet splash acpi=off noapci

Then go down til the line you found in your grub list at boot time, and add this also after "quiet splash"
                Save the file and exit, on next startup it will be ok.
                To explain, the first modification is to make it automatic for new kernel upgrades, second one, is only til next modification of grub (by the grub updater)

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X